Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast
    For some reason, as you do, I've got it into my head that I really need to get me a new set of wheels - as in bike as opposed to 2 new wheels. I think I'm going to sell my 853 Inbred and Croix dr Fer in order to help finance the deal and also to get her Ladyships consent - 'Look love, I'm selling two and replacing with one - that'll mean a total of three bikes rather than four'.Now then, what to get? Earlier in the year I was all ready to stick with  a steel hardtail (Sirius/Soul/Handjob) and then I had a mental breakdown and decided a 29er might be for me (I am 6'2&quot. I was in the LBS t'other day and had a bit of a pootle on their shiny Orange 5 Pro - lovely bike but waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much travel and , erm, 'gnaar' for me. This got me thinking - I ain't getting any younger and even with a 'forgiving' steel frame can feel a bit battered after a 4hr+ ride so would a FS be the way to go. The LBS have offered me a good deal on a Scott Spark which is not as 'rad' as the 5 but seems very capable for all day rides, of the pootling sort that I do, without being overtly twitchy and jay.Opinions please, compadres.

I decided to go down the full sus XC route and have always been glad that I did. If you get a well sorted design and/or lockable rear then it's worth it, comfort-wise.Not sure what you were looking to spend - I recently went for the Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 from Evans Cycles, with a good discount to boot ...... lovely bike. Think they have reduced it more since I bought (damn them!) but worth a look if they have your size.....

The Man from the Dales says yes, but try a few others.

Dalesman wrote (see)The Man from the Dales says yes, but try a few others.Yes what?

Well I'm on my 2nd stumpy FSR and have tried others but prefer a Horst linked rear end.Money no object then a Turner built to a similiar spec to my FSR

Er, this?

Santa Cruz Blur XC, the nicest looking full-suss imo, for the distinguished gent methinks.

Dirty Karlos wrote (see)Santa Cruz Blur XC, the nicest looking full-suss imo, for the distinguished gent methinks.Not me, though, is it?

Not you? it's lightweight XC.How about an ST4, Yorkshireman's full-suss.TBH I tried the Spark and it was spot on, very quick, and I don't normally like Scott but they're quite sexy really.

Dirty Karlos wrote (see)Not you? it's lightweight XC.How about an ST4, Yorkshireman's full-suss.TBH I tried the Spark and it was spot on, very quick, and I don't normally like Scott but they're quite sexy really. Lightweight being the operative, there, eh?I honestly don't like the look of the ST4 and don't believe there's a lot of weight difference between it and the 5.I normally don't like Scotts either - Genius - fugly!! *shudders* - but the Spark looks 'right' and, on the short test ride I've had, rides well. TBH I just need talking into it.Wanna buy an 853 Inbred??

Sparks are light but I can't see what appeals apart form that. The guy in the club broke his chainstay within nine months. It's an OK bike but compared with the Canyons, Haibikes (very impressive) and even a Spesh FSR that other members have it just isn't as smooth. I'm still looking for a similar bike to replace my Viper, I'm hoping there are some good deals in September as all the nine speed stuff gets cleared. An Anthem and Haibike are top of the pile at present.

The Haibike Trailstar SL looks pretty decent, John. Don't do 'em in Blighty, though, do they?

No idea, a local shop does them here. I can't find the one I rode on the site, a 120mm carbon FS with the shock mounted vertically in front of the seat tube.

I dislike the Spesh and Giant offerings, they always feel so boring to ride to me. I think there's your answer, we all ride differently. Ride as many short travel full sussers as poss and get the one which feels right for you. If the Spark feels right, get it, does it matter that some frog's chainstay snapped? could happen on any bike.

Could you see yourself buying another FS, DK?

You see loads of Sparks at Merida/CRC marathons - they can't all be wrong. Looks like a nice bike to me.I like having a shortish travel susser for local rides in the summer when the hoofed clay is a pain even on a steel hardtail.

When I grow up a short travel full sus is on the cards, but are there any with a short back end and relaxed angles?At the moment I either shake myself to bits on the hardtail or wallow about on the hovercraft, sorry commie 5.5, but really can't justify a fourth bike with the lack of riding I do

Trek Fuel EX? Somewhere between jey and gnarl.

26" wheel then Giant Trance of some variation or Trek Fuel EX. 29" wheel a Gary Fisher Hi-Fi.I went from FS to rigid recently barely touched the FS old age and lack of sense though.

The 2 bikes I'll be retaining are a RC31 forked S/S Inbred and my 1998 Marin Pine Mountain (has an Exotic carbon fork, 48/34 front, 11-25 rear, flat bars and slicks). I'm going to have another demo ride on the Spark and ST4 (even though I'm not keen on its looks).