Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
    Any runners on here?I've been doing quite a lot lately, just wondering if anyone else is similarly masochistic? We could post our progress in here. I started in Feb and have just completed my first ten miler. Over the winter I'm going to be increasing the distance and move on to speed work about  March time. Thinking about it, I've run every other day for the past month.

What you running from ?    

I hate running but love the results. It's the fastest way that I can shift a bit of extra fat, but it's boring, slow, hard work (mainly because I don't do enough) but I guess I'll try and do a few times a week as we get into winter.

Anyone else got the 'targeted advert' to the right of DK's post?  A rather attractive lady doing press ups   DK start more threads like this!

Anyone else got the 'targeted advert' to the right of DK's post?LOLYeah, seen her, but not clicked on her link (tits) yet.With regards to running, you're right, hurts like hell unless you do it regularly. I am at the stage now where it doesn't hurt, finally! but that's only because I've got my arse out there. I wanted to work on it over winter as I'm doing Triathlon next year and that is a weakness if you like. I may even go so far as to say I'm enjoying it, I don't find it boring anymore either. Someone is trying to get me to do a 16 mile cross country race this weekend, it would seem a bit of a jump, I don't want to risk injury but I might just do it, take it steady.

How the hell do you make it not boring?And for anyone who's missed her, clicking on the ad doesn't show anymore pics of her so don't waste your time.

280km on bikes last week though only 60 off-road, 32km running and 5km in the pool; so I suppose I count as a runner of sorts and can join in with the thread. Running is just what happens naturally when you want to get somewhere a bit faster than walking isn't it? In this house I'm the lazy dog that gets dragged out running in all weathers by my mistress.

John Gourette wrote (see)280km on bikes last week though only 60 off-road, 32km running and 5km in the pool; so I suppose I count as a runner of sorts and can join in with the thread. Running is just what happens naturally when you want to get somewhere a bit faster than walking isn't it? In this house I'm the lazy dog that gets dragged out running in all weathers by my mistress.Christ John! I couldn't do all that in a week let alone fit my life in around it! 

I'm sticking to cycling I did once run to catch a bus

Well apart from taking Sean out roller blading, doing the school walk, replacing a few roof tiles and replacing some brake pipes on the car I didn't do much else with my week Nobby. Still plenty of time for sitting in front of BM and the TV.

Good work John. I hope to have similar opportunity to 'train' as much as you seem to, one day. Mrs DK is being groomed for management superstardom and I will be going into conservation, which pays peanuts, so she will be the bread winner. Anyway, back to running, what do you think John, 10 to 15 miles, too big a jump?I've no doubt I can do it, and probably in quite a respectable time. It's just that I'm trying to train intelligently and avoid the setbacks of injury. Being sensible doesn't come naturally to me though, so I think I may do the race. It's off road but mostly flat, with a few undulating sections.

Oh, and I might start noting my distances in km too, as it sounds like loads more than it really is!

If you feel good do it. If you have any niggles don't. The first marathon I did I hadn't been doing much running, just a lot of walking posting flyers. I find it's speed work that results in injury rather than upping the distance for a one-off.

Have you got any Tri's in mind yet Karlos? - you can't have a proper training plan without a bit of periodisation or so I'm toldAnd yes, go for the 16 miler, take it steady, great base workout!

How long did your 10 miler take you?16 miles is a bit of a jump, but to have done a decent 10 miler you should have trained up to 12 miles (at least) anyway.The key is pace.....its just so easy to get dragged off to a fast start, so you have to work really hard to slow down on the first 5 miles keep it steady to 12 and then hang on!The last 4 will hurt but it's all down to the early pace as to how much!

I really must have another go at this running malarkey.  Where would you start if you'd not run for several years?

I'd start by making sure I bought the right trainers for my foot shape - see wiggle's handy guide....

Like any exercise.....start slow and short and just work up from there.If you have a competitive nature, work out two or three routes 1.5m, 2.5m 4m and time yourself on them.  You'll just love beating your times, seeing yourself getting faster, fitter and feeling better too.

I have got some half decent running shoes that were sized in a proper shop.Problem is they've probably only done 5 or 6 miles total & just running a mile kills me! I suppose I'll have to get my head round starting again & prepare for the hurt.

Paul - I have deja vu Nobody ask about a marathon FFS or we'll have a fall outKarlos if your planning to race middle distance I hope I'll be seeing you in Bala come June for the national champs?? My training plan is based around peaking for that, with Ellesmere Olympic 2 weeks later. - I start my Base phase this weekend after a month off (very light sessions) following that dualthlon at CYB in October.