Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Middle aged men really should refrain from dancing, but teaching your son to dance in the same manner is just cruel.

Shall I get him to do his tectonic stuff for the camera?

Socks and sandals NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO

Correct Monkey, Fartlek is varying pace according to terrain and how you feel - everything from lazy jogging to all out sprinting and everything in between with slow jogging as recovery between the faster bits.Blimey....is it me or is everyone getting a bit pedantic around here?  I do know that Fartlek is a Scandinavian word, but they had Fartlek courses in Germany when I lived there.  I'm sure I described what you have just said JG, albeit in not quite the same exact way!

Why on earth would you video that???

Sorry for making you unhappy Paul. Pointing out that fartlek is a varied but continuous effort and dosen't normally include press ups or other non running exercises is picky, pedantic and quite normal around here for as long as I've been posting.

The video? Some warm up drills that'll help your running technique - try it.

Who's the nutjob dancing in the vid? Didn't I read somewhere on this site that kids were supposed to warn their parents against inappropriate dress??Informative and amusing

Running is oddly addictive. This year i ran my first half marathon, and my first marathon. I say 'first' because for some odd reason i miss the long run training sessions. So i have now entered another marathon for next year.  Most of my normal runs are 1hour to 1 1/2 hours. Do this 2 or 3 times a week. Running is very simple, how far was that? ok can your run further? ok now run it quicker? i find long distance is much easier than speed. to get quicker at 10Ks etc seems to need specific drills and training, and variety of different runs, sprints, hills etc.... where as to run long distance, make sure you do at least one long run a week (short runs also, but the long run is key) and (as Tim pointed out earlier) only increase mileage by 10% a week. keep increasing and in the end you are running over 20 miles. then you are ready to  run a marathon. the secret of running a long distance, simply keep running  till you get to the finish I am not a 'runner' tho. mountain biker maybe something that you are. running is something you do. running is just cross training for biking (keep telling myself that, no matter how much more time i seem to spend running than biking).Also, for long distances, run in miles, running in Ks is for nancy boys and Frenchmen.

Well that was my first run/jog in a very long time and I took the short/gently advice.1.16 miles11 mins 45 secsKnackeredAching quadsI was aiming for just a 10 minute starter to see how bad I was so at least I have a start point.  Surely it can only get easier/better from here...

Did you run all the way Nobby? Best to run/walk when starting out ime. It will get better, takes a couple of months though, and only then if you're consistenlty doing it 2-3 times a week.

Karlos if your planning to race middle distance I hope I'll be seeing you in Bala come June for the national champs?? Bala looks a good un', but at this rate I'll be doing duathlons only as I still haven't set fott in the pool!! I keep putting it off. Just need to build up to a mile of swimming for next year as I'm hoping to do Half Ironman (full IM 2011).

That was all running and mostly flat.  HRM says I averaged 162 bpm & I never felt out of breath - just me legs were telling me to stop so I guess that's just them not used to exercise whilst standing up

You're doing alright then.As for HRMs, good luck to anyone that uses them but they are not for me. I haven't a clue what my heart rate is, always go by feel when biking or running and I seem to pace myself ok so don't see the point in adding more science into my training.

Anyone seeking running inspiration should read this. It worked for me, read it in two nights, mental.

I didn't refer to it once I just ran for what I reckoned was 10 minutes but had the Garmin with me to check distance mainly (although I'm supposed to wear it when exercising).Was interested to see how hard my ticker was working though.Clearly I'm okay with the pace I settled at so I guess I should look to slowly build distance/time then, maybe, speed?

I would say 162 bpm is a bit high, have a look at runnersworld, you can download training plans from there (although I would suggest cutting out some of the weekly runs as we do biking instead). I was thinking of setting myself a half marathon as a target for next spring and following one of there training plans to get there.

I have a spreadsheet that will give you your heartrate zones based on age and weight, for me 162bpm is nearly 90%. Which is too high to be building up distances.

How old are you Nobby?You do sound a dreadful runner if you don't mind me saying! However, that will be the worst one, because you will see only improvement from here on..........just stick with it!My advice is to go straight to 2.5 miles and just maintain a slow steady pace to the end.  1.1m is too short really......you're just warming up!