Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I like the idea of running, just not the effort it requires

Heart rate monitor is a good tool Nobby, if as a regular cyclist you can#t run a few miles then you are going at it too hard, get a cheap heart rate monitor, and keep your heart rate at about 70% or below at first. You will be surprised how slow that is, but you will soon be going further and faster than you expected, then you can start mixing up your training a bit and pushing a bit harder.If anyone else who hasn#t run for a long time, or is a complete beginner, wants to follow a training plan over winter (like the push up thread) and comparing notes at the end of the week I would be up for that.

Nobby paul is pretty much right, - start slow, don't just run the same loop for each session.start by not worrying about distance, use time, start with no more than 3 runs a week, add no more than 10% in time to your longest run each week, every 4 weeks have a retrechment where you cut the milage of he long run right back.Run off road and or in the hills at least once a week to build strength.

I've a Garmin Edge 305 with HRM that, if I can find a way of attaching it to me, would give me distance & HR.  I'll have a look in the odds & sods box tomorrow to see if I can find owt suitable. 

Just stick it in your pocket or carry it in your hand at first, you will soon get used to pacing and not need to look at it that often. edit: heart rate monitors can be great as a guide but its easy to get too obsessed with the data. use it as a guide, but try and hit some riverside or forest trails to enjoy the running. 

You've lost me Tim......can't imagine what we may have disagreed on? Not sure about new fangled heart monitors, you know when you are pushing too hard.......cos it hurts more!I always used to run off road, not only do you get the enjoyment of the countryside, but your feet are landing very differently over the course of the run and therefore avoiding the repetitive impacts that can lead to injuries.The bonus is you get a great work out and no dirty bike to clean!

I've only got the HRM as Jr's cardiologist recommended it 'just in case'.  Not been wearing it for a couple of months now & reckon I've slowed on the bike.Starting out, I reckon i'd best try & use it.

Anyone who can run over 10km is in my eyes a god...my last run I was hurting at 5km..stiches in every body cavity. Strange thing was I'd recover in a minute or so just the physical aspect of running was painful so I stopped

You've got to work at it......get your second breath and it becomes easier.  If you can ride up the whites in middle ring you can run.....you just need to start very slowly and work through the pain until it becomes easier.  It's never too late to start!

I run twice a week on average. And normally length is 5-10kms depending on how much time i have and how i'm feeling. Only do it as a varient to the bike and gym as i get bored very easily. Also trying to shift some pounds atm so it is quite useful.

I usually run during winter and have been doing it twice a week for the last 2 months now.It takes a while to really get going but it does get easier, the first few runs are worst when the next day your legs feel like they've been hit with a baseball bat.I've got a cross country race - Xmas Cracker at the Roaches before Xmas so making sure I'm on form for that and also got the wife nagging me to run more with her, she runs loads and did a 2:56 at London Marathon this year. I'm going to have my work cut out...Managed 2x 1hr runs last week plus 200miles structured training on the road bike.For anyone who wants to get into running you are best doing a 10-15 minute easy run first then after a few days when the aching has disappeared do it again gradually increasing the time spent running by 5-10 minutes per week to minimise the risk of injury.

Well i've got that nike+ thing which can measure runs by length or by times.Should I set it to say 30mins runs or should I set it 5km runs?I like the idea of running but it's just not got the rewards per effort that riding has in terms of pleasure and that's what makes it hard for to me to get out and do it

Just back from a hour jogging in the Autumn sun, no better way to start the day apart from maybe a shag.Gadgets don't help you run better, efficient technique does.

John Gourette wrote (see)Gadgets don't help you run better, efficient technique does. But I think you have to be able to run a few miles several times a week before you can start running drills and intervals etc, which help improve technique. Some gadgets can get you through those first couple of months and help with pacing and eleviating the boredom

You don't even need to run. Jog on the spot and do knee lifts, heels to hands behind your bum, elbows to knees, spotty dogs. Walk, walk fast, skip, do silly walks. I'll do a YouTube if you all promise not sue me if you slip a disc doing it.

Yeah I'm starting to get into a bit to do this triathlon malarky next season. I just find it uncomfortable, makes my ankles and feet hurt, and doesn't do my knees any good if I do a longer run, short hamstrings and what not apparently.Want to stick with it, as I can appreciate that it's a good thing to be able to do, with the ability to take running shoes anywhere and get a good session done in under an hour, makes it much more practical than riding.

Senior Member Stephanos Wephanos's Avatar
    I'm with Billy here, the nice thing with riding is the reward during the ride, you do you're lungbusting climb then you get a nice downhill to smile you're way down. Running is just more grind.

I'm with Billy here, the nice thing with riding is the reward during the ride, you do you're lungbusting climb then you get a nice downhill to smile you're way down. Running is just more grind.In Germany they have Fartlek courses through the forests etc.Fartlek is running and walking with maybe some excercises thrown in.  So what you do is work out a nice scenic route and plot a work out/run.  You decided to run to a certain point slowly...perhaps a mile, stop and do 20 press ups and then walk for 200 yds, then run fast for say 500m to the next point, more exercises, run slower for a mile etc.   Gives you a much more varied work out and takes away the boredom of running at a steady pace for a set distance.BY the way Podge, that 2.56 is a top time......if you can keep up with her on the odd run, you are doing more than well!

She'd like me to run with her, she knows I can still burn her off going up hill, just,so she gets a good workout. That time at London hurt her, she was a mess going over the finishing line and suffered for months afterwards, she's done sub 3 though and that's what she wanted most of all,she worked hard for it and got it. She also did a 1:23 for a 1/2M too.She's just had a foot op,so no running for a good few weeks at least, by the time she's running again I should be of some use to her.

Paul Hutchinson 2 wrote (see)In Germany they have Fartlek courses through the forests etc.Fartlek is running and walking with maybe some excercises thrown in.  fartlek is just intervals, of varying distance/time. I think its a scandanavian word.