Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Pimp M. Jazz esq.
    Email I got from a very good American friend. Before the flak starts, she's not the typical Yankee 'do-gooder', but a fantastic unpretentious gal with a great sense of humour.Read and discuss.>TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES>>This, from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing.>America: The Good Neighbor.>>Widespread but only partial news coverage was given>recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from>Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television>commentator. What follows is the full text of his>trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional>Record:>>This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for >Americans as the most generous and possibly the least>appreciated people on all the earth.>>Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and>Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the>Americans who poured in billions of dollars and>forgave other billions in debts. None of these>countries is today paying even the interest on its>remaining debts to the United States.>>When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956,>it was the Americans who propped it up, and their>reward was to be insulted and swindled on the>streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.>>When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the>United States that hurries in to help. This spring,>59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes.>Nobody helped.>>The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped>billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now>newspapers in those countries are writing about the>decadent, warmongering Americans.>>I'd like to see just one of those countries that>is gloating over the erosion of the United State's>dollar build its own airplane. Does any other>country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo>Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10?>If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the>international lines except Russia fly American>planes?>> Why does no other land on earth even consider putting> a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese> technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about> German technocracy, and you get automobiles.>> You talk about American technocracy, and you find> men on the moon - not once, but several times -> and safely home again.>> You talk about scandals, and the Americans put> theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at> Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and> hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them,> unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting> American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.>> When the railways of France, Germany and India> were breaking down through age, it was the> Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad> and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them> an old caboose. Both are still broke.>> I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced> to the help of other people in trouble. Can you> name me even one time when someone else raced to the> Americans in trouble? I don't think there was> outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.>> Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one> Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get> kicked around. They will come out of this thing> with their flag high. And when they do, they are> entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating> over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not> one of those.">> Stand proud, America!> Wear it proudly!!"

jon wyatt
    nicely put but they're still fat bastards.

Some fair points but some glaring inaccuracies too...Just ask Airbus...

Simon Davanzo
    Bit inaccurate though. Lets see:'Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10'Airbus? Concorde? US was never able to make a successful Concorde type SST, despite trying. Airbus currently outsells Boeing for larger airliners. 'You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not once, but several times - and safely home again.'Using German rocket technology and scientists. 'I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.' I believe Mrs Thatcher said something like the following after a major earthquake in Iran : ' We will send help if they ask us to. Regardless of who it is we will help if it is requested of us, and without conditions'. The US never requested help (why would they if they figured tey could do it themselves) so none was sent. Interestingly they have requested help this time, and the UK has sent rescue teams as have other nations. 'Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war'That would be the war the US could have prevented in '39 but couldn't be bothered until they were directly threatened. Propping up Europe also served the US well in countering the Soviet Union too. Actually that piece, whilst sounding good it more indicative of the problem. It reproduces the overinflated opinion that the US has of itself as true fact, rather than the propaganda it is. The US has indeed made some great acheivements, but not as many as they like to pretend. Its that 'We're great, We're right' attitude that created the sort of enemies that would commit this sort of terrorism in the first place!

jon wyatt
    and most of them are fat

Anne Brown
    I don't really think the americans need any encouragement to be proud and gloating.Sure the American Way" gets a bit of a kicking from everyone else, but only because it's thrust in our faces and held up as the only way to live.But NOBODY deserves terrorist attacks of any kind."

Anne Brown
    and yeah, most of them are fat

Dave Smith
    If you haven't been there maybe you should tone down your criticism. The yanks I've met and worked with have been great, nice people, pretty sincere, friendly - and no more insular than the rest of the worlds population. We're not far beind them in the fat stakes either.

Simon Davanzo
    Dave - that may well be case, but consider this:The view you get of a country is related to the people from it you meet. Taking the UK, a bunch of skinhead football hooligans will give a very different impression than a load of upper class toffs. Neither are an accurate representation of the whole. There are nice yanks, and nasty yanks. The problem is that the rest of the world tends to see more of the nasty ones than the nice ones.

Pimp M. Jazz esq.
    The thing that bugs me is the 'u' missing in neighbour.

Dave Smith
    Potato Potaato?

Wookie Da Silva
    I've lived in america ( admittedly only east coast).They fulfilled all my stereotypes.

Anne Brown
    Yeah, I'm a bit of a lard arse as well.And yeah, I've met nice americans too but I have always found that get more than 2 together and it starts to be aren't we all wonderful" etc. Now I will say that I have noticed the same sort of behaviour amongst Aussies here as well. However they (we) do have more of a deprecating humour so that we take the P out of ourselves as much as anyone else."Most" americans don't have that type of humour.This is all getting a little away from the point. No country should necessarily be held in higher awe than another and each country should be offered any help they need. America has been lucky enough that so far they have been called upon by others more than they needed help themselves."

Dave Whittle
    Ditto to Wookie (worked on the east coast for 2 years). They ARE totally insular, but for that blame the media, and if youre into conspiracies, the goverment control of it. They have a 1 hr news programme, supposedly equal to our Newsnight, and they have a section called The World in a Minute", which pretty much sums it up.The americans get fed US-based and biased news, which is never critical of the US so it wouldnt occur to the population that these attacks might have been driven by previous US actions or policy. All they know is that these radical fundamentalists hate america, they wouldnt think to question why.They dont usually NEED foreign help to deal with internal disasters, they have more resources than most of the rest of the world combined so the idea of them needing a cash whipround from Europe to pay for tornado damage is farcical.And yes most of them are fat."

i said they are fat bastards yesterday and got flamed for it, no you all fucking agreeing !!!!Dan

More Gears Than Sense
    I totally agree Anne; nobody deserves a terrorist attack on any scale. I think its time to put aside these generalisations, i.e. All Americans are fat, Americans are up there own arse etc. There culture is very, very different to ours, as is the Germans and the French. Rather than bitch about it we should attempt to understand that fact. All the Germans bar one I have ever met, I have disliked, however if the same were to happen to them I would still extend my deepest sympathies, and not complain about their culture at a time of such human tragedyFurther this attack was not only an attack on America but also an attack on the free world, therefore an attack on Western Civilisation. Many peoples have been caught up in this disaster including Brits. Although we are a poor example of Democracy, our country is still, only just mind you, a democracy; thusly the attack was also directed at Britain.America has asked for help in the past but they are a nation of over 360 million people with huge resources and often they have not required outside help.I believe that this terrible incident may help to strengthen international relations between all Democratic Countries. Lets hope one good thing comes out of this tragedy, and please lets put aside our petty beliefs and generalisation at a time of such great human loss of life.

Mike Beckley
    They make some damn fine bikes tho'SC SL

to bad the fat fucks cannot ride em and have to send em over here ;o)Dan

jon wyatt
    everyone agreed with me because I'm cooler than you Dan. Don't worry about it, it's something most people have to come to terms with.

ah i see, so they didnt disagree because im gay then ??Dan