Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop me!

I've got an HID light for night riding but I don't go night riding that often and never for more than 3 hours. However, I still want a Lupine Betty 12. It's £700 FFS. What's going on in my head? It's irrational. It's not like I'm rolling in cash, nor do I ride through the night, yet there's a persistent voice in my head urging me to splash out on another (ridiculously) expensive light.  I realise that I'm probably not alone in suffering from this condition. Is there a cure?

I got a lumicycle set, 10w spot and a 12w flood complete with an enduro battery for £240. I cant see the need to spend anymore than that. BUt in answer to your question, no. There is no cure. BUt you SHOULD get out at night more, you hear everything.

I'm out for the first night run of the autumn tomorrow!

Last nigh was the 1st since the clocks went back and also the 1st since SITS. twas v.good.

It's like last week I bought a Thomson seat post £60, tyres £60 and a pair of £120 winter cycling boots and I didn't think twice about the money, then the Missus asks me to spend £100 on gravel for the garden and I have a bit of a sulk.I performed well this weekend though, she asked me to pick up a shower curtain from B&Q and I came back with a blow torch. 

Senior Member Stephanos Wephanos's Avatar
    Well if you do spend £700 on a Lupine Betty, then you really have to night ride just to justify the expense.  Anyway what's wrong with your HID?
    Shirker in Chief

The plan is 1 night ride a week. BUt I've just applied for vuluntary redundancy so I might be out more often until I get a new job.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the HID, in fact it's excellent. If there was a problem with it, I'd have a (poor) excuse to replace it.  You see, logic doesn't come into it. It's an irrational thing this lust for shiny things. I may have to change my name ot Magpie.

Senior Member Stephanos Wephanos's Avatar
    Well just run the HID till it breaks, meanwhile save your pennies up 'cos there will be something even more bling to buy when it does need replacing...Also will the wife/girlfriend kill you if she finds out how much you've spent on a light?
    Shirker in Chief

I'm sure she wouldn't be overly impressed.....we do need a new bathroom.

DK, blow torch? wow. I want one

Use it on the caravan you know it makes sense
    Logical

Use it on the caravan you know it makes senseLol!

700 bloody quid for a front light! That my friend is a serious problem you are developing. I have been feeling guilty over spending £30 on a pair of waterproof seal skinz gloves. That puts my spending into perspective.

£700 for a light is excessive.  IMO there comes a point where you have enough light and more isn't going to make things any better.I know what you mean about the boys & toys urges though.  My front light is perfectly adequate and I'm tempted to drop £350 on an Enduro Turbo, which is arguably similar brightness and run time to what I have, but I love the idea of no separate battery or wires.  Precious of my I know but I can't help it.

Night riding rocks! if you can afford them then go for it, i need uber long burn times so lupines are well out of my price bracket.

Did I read that right, 4am has urges for boys & toys

700? For a bike light? Bloody Nora! You could put together a half-decent steel hardtail for that much.

Point conceded Tim.  I could have phrased that a little better.