Jonathan Reid
    A friend of mine is thinking of buying a bike in the US on an upcoming trip and wants to avoid import taxes - any tips/experiences?My first reaction was that this would be illegal but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts? ;-)The options I can see are:1. Put in a bike bag and say took out on outbound for riding trip - can this be checked? I heard that on electrical equipment the item can be scanned and purchase date/location found - wonder if this applies to bikes?2. Get friend in US to buy for him and then buy from him secondhand" at lower price and pay dutyAre there any "legal" loopholes that would allow my friend to bring bike the back safely - any thoughts?"

Senior Member Stephanos Wephanos's Avatar
    Buy a cheap supermarket bike (60) and take it over. Dump the cheap supermarket bike there bring back nice shiny bike. They won't know

Not So Bikeless Mike! :-D
    i'd go for a bike bag, and make sure it's a bit muddy :-P

i'd do the same as mike but obviousley take a supermarket special out with me, tescos have some for under 40 and just dump it when your out there.

also make sure the warrenty is a world wide jobbie

If it's a small brand this tends to be where you will lose out! Santa Cruz don't like people importing frames from the US, and won't honour warranty claims.

intense do

I've done this. It worked for me but I'm not saying it will work again. Got stopped coming back in with a bike in a box. Asked where I'd got it and I told them I'd taken it out wth me. It was covered in dust and mud and wrapped in hotel towels though. Take a bike bag if your going to try it. There's no real need to take a bike out with you. If the bike bag has already been used and the bike is used it will add to the illusion. You've got to be able to tough it out with customs though.