I know that this is probably not the right place to post this but.....Can anyone recommend a recovery drink that would be suitable for a diabetic...please

Probably better in the MTB forum to be honest, but....This would be a good place to start

Fair point, but the SIS recovery drink is REGO. Works well, but tastes revolting.TBH the best recovery drink I've tried is the 'For Goodness Shakes' line. Works and tastes/feels like a thin milkshake. Don't know how suitable for diabetics it would be though as it does taste quite sweet and I haven't checked the nutrition values.

I'd look at the Torq stuff, but it's not cheap, I've tried the banana/mango, it's very thick and creamy, and tasted like that banana antibiotic I once took as a young 'un. Matt Hart (owner dudey) is very into 'natural' stuff, so it's probably better for you than many of the other products around. Drop him and email/talk to him at a race, sure he'll be able to tell you.Incidentally, what are the criteria for making it suitable for diabetics? Presumably sugar content? Do most recovery drinks contain that much sugar?As 4AM said REGO is revolting, I've tried High 5 ones you mix with milk (not bad) and summer fruits which you mix with water (nice), and Maximuscle Recovermax too (very good, but really expensive), but again, have no idea of the nutritional values of any of them!

When its cold you can't beat a cup of Tea, with a bannana.well i suppose you could, but you would spill the tea and bruise the bannana :-)

Senior Member Stephanos Wephanos's Avatar
    When it's hot you can't beat a beer, but I suppose that misses the whole recovery drink thing.

Alcohol prohibits muscle growth.

is that right about alcohol stopping muscle growth? I did a 12 mile jog on Saturday, but then that night I had a few pints of Stella.Was it a waste of effort lol!

Alcohol messes with your bodys ability to process protein apparently.

I'd look at the Torq stuff, but it's not cheapI think you name should be Nick -Good, But they're not cheap- Evans ;)Alcohol messes with your bodys ability to process protein apparently.Is that why I eat shitloads of meat but never build any muscle?

LOL, probably not a bad idea, think everything I recommend on here comes with that warning!I resent spending lots of money on energy drink, and even more so on recovery drink, im not quite sure why! I tend to just have a sizeable portion of chicken/pasta after a ride, protein & carbs, it's great. Bit of a problem after a race mind.

I've always made my own energy drinksGlucose couple of quid for a kilo (ed ps not an entire kilo of glucose per drink)Bit of saltSugar free cordialAs for after a ride always with the pasta, maybe a banana.

I use the High Five protein drink after long (3 hours+) rides and the chocolate flavour is very drinkable (I tried rego and it is disgusting - hence switching to High 5). It is sweet though so there must be sugar in it (again I don't know the definition of a diabetic drink).not sure why but the cost of the protein drinks is more than the energy ones.

Senior Member Stephanos Wephanos's Avatar
    Alcohol prohibits muscle growth.But a post ride beer is just soooooooo good.Always makes me laugh here, every organised has a bar and I tell you the beer is always flowing, even the serious lycra clad racing whippets seem to have a beer on the go.

Strangely I like the strawberry Rego but that is the only flavour I like.

I drink lots Guinness before races. The night before that is, not the morning - now that would be hard core.Afterwards I drink Guinness.I also, during the week to keep my Guinness level toppped up, drink Guinness.Not really. I drink High five protein drink after long (>3hr) rides. Then Guinness.

IS this the color of your stools...hehee I said stool""

Many thanks for your assistance....

I'm still gunning for a black poo... one day i'll drink enough.

Ooh whilst I'm on the subject you should try Wychwood Black Wych it's a fine glass of ale.Much tastier than that Irish crap.