Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    so is it worth it, as one german steal manufature said its 1% of world reduction why bother, i will just put us at a disadvantage with the rest of the world. so we can do it, should be. personally i bet all the windfarms are working well today, if they haven`t had to be shut down due to high winds!

Yes, if only to annoy that prick at Chrysler. I don't subscribe to the theory that man has single handedly changed the atmosphere as much as is suggested, but we certainly aren't helping it so anything we can do has to be a good thing.

your figure of a 20% european reduction leading to only an equivalent 1% reduction in world emissions implies that Europe is only responsible for 1/20th or 5% of world emissions. I challenge that figure, it seems way too low.A reduction of 10% say, the world over could make a big difference. If europe takes a lead in doing this, then others might follow, if they don't then we can penalise them with import tariffs. Apart from the US of course, who we can't penalise.

M Hornby, 'trifle on 2 wheels'
    There is an arguement that Europe should be at the front of carbon reduction strategies, which may be a bit economically painful to begin with, but will then be the global leader and able to sell the expertise when the rest of the world finally wakes up the the necessity of saving the planet. However this means bollocks all anyway, because the most serious emissions are generated by aircraft high up in the atmosphere, which are exempt from any carbon taxes and emissions trading schemes, (which are alo a waste of time IMO)So we are still all fecked anyway.

I did receive a letter from the EU saying they would be sewing up my bottom, I thought they were joking.

If Europe doesn't burn the oil somebody else will buy and burn it so we're pissing into the wind. However, when I wither away in a Permian-style extinction my dying words will be but I only drove 7000km a year, it's not my fault"."

Wonder how much this will cost us?Yet another con to keep these tossers in power. Don't believe a word.

Dirty FLaP
    Don't believe the hype"I am sure that Man is having an effect somewhere - but I am equally sure that there will be people making a lot of money out of this whole thing!!!!I have said it before if this country puts in a more structured integrated, cheaper transport network I would use my car less - but whilst it is still relatively cheaper to use my car compared to the trains at least well!!!!"

What's 7000km in real money John? ;-)Doesn't matter how small the impact, you have to start somewhere and we might as well lead the way. I'm sure the Americans will decide we're hysterical and panicky, but then we know them to be pig-ignorant thick headed irresponsible tossers so I reckon we're about even.

Wonder how much this will cost us?Yet another con to keep these tossers in power. Don't believe a word.Thats the talk of someone who isn't doing a degree in Environmental Earth Science or something of the ilk - ie staring down the barrel of how utterly fcuked humanity is if we don't buck our ideas up.We in the West should be leading the way with how to deal with this by setting an example. We have to show India and China, the two countries that are rapidly industrialising that they can develop sustainably and with low CO2 outputs by setting and example and then giving them the technology to do this. They can quite rightly turn round to us and say, 'Why should we hinder our economic development by considering the environment, when you in the West didn't bother at all?'. We should give them the technology for clean burning coal (A process that cuts Co2 output by a fair olf whack).IMO, on a personal basis, people won't do anything unless forced to by economic incentives, ie taxing things that pump out a lot of carbon. Otherwise not enough people will bother/care enough to do things off their own backs. Trouble is no government has the balls to do this becasue like all politicians (whom are akin to pondlife sometimes IMO) want to get re-elected.Grrrrr makes me mad.

The melting permafrost in Siberia is another ecological disaster waiting to happen.When all of that melts there will be a massive increase in carbon emission going into the atmosphere.There's too much reliance on things that pollute,namely oil based products,burning of fossil fuels,desecration of rain forests,cars etc and unless people are prepared to give up these then things will get worse,a lot worse.

Why don't they make giant refridgeration units around the Poles, like a massive Iceland frozen food store.

?Thats the talk of someone who isn't doing a degree in Environmental Earth Science or something of the ilk - ie staring down the barrel of how utterly fcuked humanity is if we don't buck our ideas up?Get real Anyjo & while you're at it get a life. You really have been sucked in and brainwashed by all the spin and shit that the politicians burble to scare people into accepting higher taxes. Fact - the earth has been heating up , cooling & hey you'll never guesss what - frigging heating up again in cycles over the last squillions of years. Lets tax things which give out carbon" - ok lets start with your mouth - Co2 right ?We already lead the world in clean coal technology (Doosan Babcock) and sell to America and the far east(china in particular). In addition, with an upcoming shortage of power supply due to the decommissioning of exisiting nuclear stations it is more than likely in the intermediate period we will soon have a new generation of clean coal stations prior to new nuclear coming on line.I'may not be a an Environmental Scientist but I am an engineer. Don't be taken in by the spin"

We are steadily eliminating all the carbon sinks at the same time as producing the kind of quantities CO2 normally associated with long volcanic episodes. We are producing a situation that hasn't been seen since the Permian so you can forget about what has happened in recent geological cycles.

So lets tax everybody, we know everyone won't give up using the car so not a problem, more money. And while we're at it lets hike up the price of trains and other forms of public transport, cause the peasants have to use something. Oh yeah, and lets not spend all these vast increases in taxes on doing anything about environemntal issues, lets use it to bomb every country under the sun, give it away to Africa and bankrupt everybody in the UK (ourselves excepted) - yep - its a great life being an MP!"And you know what the best thing is ? - if we say its all in the name of the environment no one will say WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOCKS.No wonder this country is fuxxked. Is that why you moved tpo France Jpohn?"

I think it's about time that someone grew a virus that got rid of all the ugly people leaving just the few beautiful people [and me] to inherit the world.er sorry must go there's a policeman at my door. incitement? sedition? no sorry officer it wasn't...""

I left the UK in 1991 with Barbara on a couple of touring bikes RBA. We had walked out of teaching jobs in the same school the day the headmaster refused to do anything about threats from a pupil and said that self defence would lead to me being charged with assault or worse. We got to Pau and decided to stay, starting a successful business on a frayed shoe string.I can't say I thought of the UK as fuxxked and didn't expect life in France to be any easier. I just wanted to live a bit and Barbara was up for the adventure.

We have to show India and China....and then giving them the technology to do this"Anyhojoe, I totally agree, there is no other way.But the others are right too, the fight for cash/power has created the ecological situation we are now in. There is that book I mentioned earlier 'The state of Fear' by Michael Crichton. Although sci-fi, he hits the nail on its head.Oil is money, let's wait for when fresh water becomes scarce in the West. The lack of snow in Europe this winter will hit us badly in the summer."

I'm all for cutting CO2 emissions recycling where energy efficient and the rest of it - hell I even get the train to London and back - just don't try to tell me that the 180 a month I have to spend to get to work should constitute me not being able to get a seat on the way home 3 times a week and getting stuck at a station on friday night for half an hour because the f*****g train doors wont open to let passengers off - wouldn't mind but it was only 20 minutes from me being home!there should at least be a refund for the journey rather than an I'm sorry its a safety issue... blah blah blah!"I know its a f*****g safety issue both for myself when I wanna not spend over 3 hours of my day on the sodding train and for the conductor when even I feel like ripping his head off and shoving it up his arse!if the government cant see the fallacy of its transport policy then it deserves to be replaced!"

They should all be replaced. Did anyone see that pompus git Charlie Falconer on question time? Says it all really,,,