Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have heard many stories when speaking to mountain bikers of how they sneak new bike frames, components etc past their other halfs so as not to sit through a Spanish Inquisition on the cost.All involve a certain degree of downright lying and deviousness. Even the most straight forward and PC of us magically develop this talent as we progress from mere beginners.Which do you find works best? Deviousness or lying?

What tyre for woodland singletrack ?

bee bumble
    DK are you in fact Paul Merton? I detect a certain similarity in your train of thought.

You pair of rascals!

Karlos - The answer to your question is of course blue, providing of course you have a blue bike, thats really as technical as it has to get.I think you pair deffinitely fall into the devious camp, or is that just camp!!!!

Well ok I did used to tell the odd fib to the Mrs, but then she started to read Bikemagic so I have to keep schtum ;)

i dont bother tellin lies about bike parts, in my humble opinion its cretinous

Matty - you're obviously far to PC. Nothing wrong with a good fib.... as long as they don't find out that is.

The g/f doesn't care what I spend. Its my parents I have to be economical with the truth with - despite the fact that I left home 13 years ago!

forge197
    My wife supports my mountain biking and feels I should spend what I need to on it. Which is great so I don't need to tell any stories infact she encourouges it.

bee bumble
    forge, d'y fancy a bit o' wife swappin, she sounds too good to be true

Senior Member Goaty-Death Facilitator.....'s Avatar
    The way I see it, it's my money, I earned it and can spend it on what I want. As long as the bills are paid I'll spend it how I choose......

Bumble - isn't it true that you're now on your 3rd bike and the wife still thinks its no1? The fact that current one bears no resemblance to the original in design or colour has somehow escaped her clutches... Whats the secret to your success?

Brave words Goaty - I take it you're still single then?

Senior Member Goaty-Death Facilitator.....'s Avatar
    No, been married for over 10 years. She has her money from her job and I have my money from my job. WE share the bills and do what we want with the rest of OUR OWN money.....

LOLThe only thing my wife would notice is if I came home with a different coloured bike. She probably would'nt notice a difference between a full-suss and a HT if I quickly got the thing into the shed, but colour? come on women notice colours. Still, good luck to him :)

Would the words I 've painted it" fool your wife?"

Women and colours!I took my g/f to various shops today, she wants to spend up to about 300 on a bike to ride round the local lanes and tow-paths with her young lad.Despite finding some bliding deals she was more concerned about whether the red frame would clash with her trainers etc.We are still looking!

bee bumble
    tis true I'm afraid, the first one was an old blue rigid,the second a bright yellow 2nd hand giant which I convinced her I'd transformed in the garage almost overnight and the present one has miraculously morphed into a blue giant v2 somehow or other.... just brought a red tyre does that mean a new red bike emerging from the tardis RBA ?

Let me just check my technical literature for the low down on red tyres.. Yep, cornering and durability look fine - a bit of mud on them and she'll never tell the difference. Means you'll never be able to clean your bike again of course!Suggest you sell it to Arry & he can buy that red bike for his bird.