Thread: Backing Up.

M4 MarMike!
    hi all, basically, my computer's now crap-tastic, it closes windows explorer every 5 minutes, it can't play a video and refuses to open javathe plan is to re-install windowsbut, i've hundreds of bookmarks saved in firefox, is there any way to keep them?same goes for outlook - can i save everything in that?

You can export all your contacts, appointments and emails from Outlook. File, import and export, then follow the instructions. Can't help with FF though.

M4 MarMike!
    nevermind for now, one of my bootdisks is missing...but if anyone knows how, it'd be handy

Won't it just boot from the CD?

C:\Documents and Settings\Claude\Favoritesis the folder, replacing Claude" with your own user name, you need to back up. put in a zip burn it to disk and after you've reinstall windows restore."

Steven Birch
    That's where the IE favourites are saved Claude. FF favourites should be saved in C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(Some Big Number).default\bookmarks.html

blimey haven't used IE in three years. did'nt think it looked quite right, similar but not right. doh

Mike, Bookmarks> Manage Bookmarks click on the file menu and choose export.And you ought to be able to boot from the cd - you may need to change the boot seqeunce in the bios though.Change from outlook as well - it's pants ;-)I use pegasus mail (www.pmail.com) Lots of people rave on about thunderbird but I didn't like it myself.

For backing up Outlook Express, try Express Assist as it will keep all your emails and contacts.

For your FF try Mozbackup.

M4 MarMike!
    c-o cheers!And you ought to be able to boot from the cd - you may need to change the boot seqeunce in the bios though.eh?media center comes with 2 cd's, for some reason, the first one i can't find - which is rather annoying"

Assuming you are running XP, before you reinstall try running (click the start button and select run):sfc /scannowYou will need the XP CD in the drive.

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.htmlSome info on it if you're not sure what it is all about or have any problems.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htmAnd another.