Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    In <a href=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-2073605,00.html">The Times </a>this time:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-2073605,00.html"

balls...http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-2073605,00.html

Cyclists will inherit the earth. Until then we have to share the planet with a fat, chain smoking intollerant, opinionated journalist who would rather sit stressed out of her brains in a jam than ride a bike. Poor woman, her bloke is no doubt an equally miserable slob who doesn't have a clue in bed and would rather pay a pro than show his missus a good time. That's if he's ever sober enough.

Every day, I see more motorists break the highway code than cyclists.Like every approach by a car to a roundabout and abservance of speed limits for one and two.These journalists always assume, by some miraculous default, that motorists do everything right.Her other problem is a misunderstanding of what roads are for....They're not for the exclusive use of cars.I only wish she had the insight to declare that,in reality,she hates it that cyclists get around faster than her and are fitter than her.

Well, this motorist has had enough and thinks it is time cyclists were forced by the law to take out accident insurance".I can't wait for her rant about "the granny state" when she has to buy insurance for her Tarquin and Tabatha so that they can ride their bikes to the bi-monthly Young Nice Nazi's meeting in Chilling-Cumbolton village hall!"

Fairy FLaP (Inbred again!)
    Yeah you can tell the type - she yearns for what she thinks is the idyllic country life - I bet you if she ever got there she would moan about the country smells, when the farmer goes out to spread his muck or when she gets stuck behind a tractor or trailer. God forbid if the sheep ever escaped into her perfectly formed garden and ate the grass. Or when the cock (the only one I bet!!!) wakes her in the morning.Now to the bit about cyclists - yes from a car drivers point of view I have seen a few cyclists jumping red lights and the like - when I cycle through town I don't jump lights - I either wait in the queue or get off and walk around. As for being in the middle of a lane, it is probably because the cyclist is getting ready to turn and by being in the middle of the lane, ensuring that all can see him before he makes his turn. Then she raves on about cycle lanes - well if so many people didn't park in them and they were constructed with an ounce of sense, maybe we wouldn't have to use the road so often. This journalist should spend some time in Frnace, or Germany, Holland or Italy and look how much more respect by other road users cyclists have - and how to construct a proper cycle lane.I wonder why this journalist is given the space to write a (small) column!Maybe I should write to the times asking if they will give me some column space.Rant over..........just annoyed it seems that this woman is talking about two subjects which are close to my heart and it would seem that she has no idea about them (even if she does get up early to listen to the radio about it!!!!!)

I have read many a rant on BM about motorists and on the whole I agree with them. I really like the Give Cyclists Room campaign and the idea that should have to or be obliged to use cycle lanes is rubbish.However, we don't help ourselves sometimes - why do some cyclists go through red lights? That is plainly against the highway code and general commonsense and means we have no right to complain when cars also break the highway code.We will always be a minority and so fighting against the flow of badly informed motorists.I do agree that compulsory insurance would be ridiculous - nobosy would want to pay when families wanted to take kids out for a cycle round the local forest or park or when kids cycle to school.

I have the perfect answer to all of this... Have any of you ever hired a bike from rutland cycling??? You can hire a Whyte 46, Stinky deelux etc for about a tenner!!! And its all traffic free lakeside cycling. So sod all the people moaning about us. Let them go back to the rat race where they belong!!!

Maybe we should make this lady ride a bike to work for a week?

I jump red lights all the time if there is no danger, am I a bad person?

Nah, she won't get out of her 4x4 and get her hair wet...

Yeah the same 4x4 that she thinks makes her more countryfied - when in reailty she doesn't even know what a diff lock or the little gear stick is for!!!!!

Why jump red lights?

What size kicker do you use to jump the lights? They must be about 10 metres high !?

the DefenderDan(ya moma so fat she sweats gravy!)
    I admit that I don?t like . . . the urban cyclist with a total disregard of the Highway Code. You will recognise the type ? usually male, without a helmet, with lights, who refuses to stop when traffic lights are red and thinks nothing of riding the wrong way down a one-way street or cycling on the pavement"I must admit i dont like this either, and i see plenty of it in little old Lancaster.......its the few giving the many a bad name as per usual"

Impatience I guess, only on my bike obviously. Not at major junctions or anything.

I'm unemployed, bored and opinionated.Thought I'd give her a piece of my mind as opposed to ranting on here in a world where everyone is of the same opinion anyway.My constructive letter to the Times this morning...I would like to explain the cyclists viewpoint, something not often heard acyclists are a minority. I myself am a cyclist, I also don?t like the urbancyclist with a total disregard of the Highway Code. Please, do not tar us allwith the same brush, stereotypical news articles such as these are notconstructive.Although I personally choose to wear a helmet at all times, riding without ahelmet is not illegal, research concerning their use is not conclusive and wemust let indviduals choose whether they wear one or not.We 'Monopolise the centre of a lane, slowing down traffic' for our own safety, Ihave personally been involved in a hit and run and had many a close shave. As acyclist you do your utmost to make yourself as visible as possible, if thisslows down traffic in the process then so be it.Cycle lanes are often littered with debris, poorly designed and often a greaterhazard than the vehicles they are designed to avoid. It is only natural thatcyclists should excercise their common sense and choose when it is and s notapropriate to use these lanes. Using cycle lanes where thay ae available is notcompulsory, a lot more thought and finance would need to be invested in thecycle network before even considering making their use compulsory.I would have no objection to cyclists being forced by the law to take outaccident insurance. Cyclists in Switzerland are already obliged to take outthird party insurance, a great idea which I doubt our government has thecompetency to implement without disouraging cycling in the process. Despitethis many cyclists are insured, although the general public may not be aware ofthis. Cyclings governing body, British Cycling, and the CTC are two examples ofproviders of such insurance.The governments policy is to promote cycling as this is good for theenvironment, our health and also reduces traffic jams, resenting cyclists forbeing able to avoid these jams is defeating the object. If you don't like it,get on your bike...If no one reads it, who cares, sending it makes me feel self righteous this morning :PTanhttp://whitefire.spreadshirt.net

#Cycle lanes are often littered with debris, poorly designed and often a greaterhazard than the vehicles they are designed to avoid#Good point, shattered glass from the drunks on my way to work, abandoned washing macines, burnt out cars you name it.Talk about bad design too, they plant trees a metre away from cycle only lanes and now the tree roots are sprouting through the tarmac, you need 4 of travel to get down the knacker!"

One thing I hate about bike lanes in the UK is that you have to give way to cars at every junction by this I mean you are cycling down the lane adjacent to the main road and when you come to a minor road junction you have to give way to the car in the minor road if you see what I mean. Here in Europe the cyclist has the right of way.In fact here in Germany I've been told that as far as accidents with cars is concerned the cyclist is always in the right until proven wrong.

daftpunk...I have heard thats how it is going to be over here very soon. It has to happen as it will make motorists stop and think before they over take us at 60mph on country lanes, leaving a gap of inches!Mans most efficient invention = the bike! Simple as that. All cars do is pollute the planet, cause accidents and turn normal, sane people into arrogant, impatient unts..as shown in said article. Something is going to have to happen somewhere down the line. We can't carry on the way we are; destroying greenbelt land to make way for more roads and allowing one car per person. It's ridiculous, where does it stop?!Maybe all BM'ers should ditch their cars and live on an island together with bikes in tow....now theres a thought ;o)