Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    So george buch wants america to be no oil imports by 2026, they are looking at hydrogen, batteries, bio fuels, ethanol, PV, wind, hydroelectric and fushion, Not Fission, america not keen after 10 mile island incidant. But no tax incentives to companys to develope or even cut the use of oil, cars still only have to do between 15 and 20MPG and money is going mostly to western farmers to grow bio fuel crops. No highier tax on oil or gas to help pay for this, So is it just a ploy by george to be seen as green, he will be well gone before this comes through. and what can the rest of teh world do, what would you like to do yourself / our country do??

I bought a folding bike

We need to burn our waste for a start. Cornwall with limited space has a rubbish problem yet no one wants an incinerator that would generate electric. Devon needs to get with the program and stop fussing over wind farms we have our share.

The market reaction to Bush's speech summed it up for me, no move. I have a not inconsiderable sum to invest in alternative energy and/or energy saving and the money is still in the bank for want of viable ideas.

so what you looking at then John. There are heat pumps and exchangers if your garden is big enough, Local wind turbines, solar heating tubes for hot water, Solid fuel boiler units that burn wood pellets and are totally automated. none of those grab your liking, or build an eco house, timber frame, lime foundations, hardwood clad, natural wool insurlation, heat circulars and exchangers. all very green and efficent.

Mr. Ed (off to the knacker's yard)
    Burning waste JD? I think i'd rather bury the stuff. I would rather the waste was landfilled and have it monitored correctly than adding to the global warming issues that we're already seeing across the globe. Anyway I'm bias as i work for this lot. (www.argus.org)

that is a little bit biased, and we do have a landfill problem, we are only a little country. Modern incinerators burn 95% efficent, and with a lot more recyling schemes such as wood as well as plastics and metals we could cut our landfill, but we would need a reward scheme, like home owners get tax credits for waste recyled, bins weighed before disposal, that sort of thing.

Having eliminated solar anything and a heat pump I'm looking at wood stoves with possibly artificial logs made from wood chippings but the ones sold locally made in Germany and I don't wish to put more trucks on the road.

MAJIK MOO-so far we have raised 123.33 DONATE HERE http://tinyurl.com/as2b8
    r.e pollution, landfill, recycling etc..we're all buggered no matter what we do.sadly, its too late to be thinking of what we can do now....it should have been done years ago.thats not to say we should sit back and do nothing. delaying the inevitable is all we are doing tho.

MAJIK MOO-so far we have raised 123.33 DONATE HERE http://tinyurl.com/as2b8
    *rant on pollution over*

check outhttp://www.nef.org.uk/logpile/index.htmfor uk boiler suppliers

Mr. Ed (off to the knacker's yard)
    You're right, Serge. I am slightly bias working for a landfill monitoring company. Even if there was a concentrated effort to move away from Landfill there would still need to be people like us about to make sure they aren't posing a threat to any one so my job would be safe, ish, for a while!!

i work for the UKAEA in Fushion development! Thats biased against oil

I work for the IKEA in Futon development! Cool.

lol

Also moon light for TESCOS in Fennel development

I work at a fish restraunt doing Salmon Dill Envelopment

Pete-owan Hobbit
    I'n in The Industry so I guess I'm biassed BUT I think the future lies in nuclear power. It's clean and efficient, but despite an impeccable safety record in Europe it still appears to be the bogeyman" of the energy debate. The soonest the public at large learn the facts avbout nuclear power and not the spun reports fed to them by rich interest groups and tub-thumping tabloids, the better."

Its not the safety record in Europe that worries us. Chernobyl?

I thought a couple of years ago there was talk about bringing water wheels back into service and generating electrity for the community. I know that it won't help everyone but communities would become more self sufficient.