Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thank god for that - an absolute guarantee of no more accidents!Thanks but I'm a million miles away from being convinced.Oh, and those former Soviet states are so much more stable now, nothing could possibly go wrong!

At the end of the day the Govt.does seem to have dismissed alternative energy sources in favour of nuclear power - fine!But I don't see a powerstation being put up at the end of Downing Street.

chris (usige beatha)
    PMSL at Numpty

Only certain countries are allowed nuclear power.So says George.Cue another war.

Smidge? Lloyd
    u haven't heard then? Apparently they are building one there.

Dark Lord Chuckles - The Gurning Piggy
    When we were kids we used to have to make our own energy, now you lot have a undred differnt kinds piped into your omes 24 hours a day, don't know your born yur buggers

The design of power stations being built today, now and in places like finland are called stage 3 plus. They have come up with passive safety systems that can control a reactor and deal with any potential accident, you don`t make these things to go bang. about the only thing you have real problems with are us humans going against rules or activly trying to envoke an accident. People who work in these plants are well trained, and we have massive amounts of paperwork to ensure that all rules are followed, there are rules for rules people who ensure rules are followed and people who ensure these people are following the rules, etc etc. there have been no examples of a neclear incident at sea on a aircraft carrier where you can control the people even more! and india and china are two of the biggest nuclear power countries in the world, problem is we are still dealing and having to run older designs of power station, now with an extra 30 years we have even better designs, and in 30 years after that even better.

Proliferation could be controled very easily, control the fuel, international board that looks after all inrichment of fuel, like russia is offering with iran, if you do not have the camability to make the fuel then you know there is no weapons, fuel can be monitored, its movemnents and use from cration to use to final storage. you ahve to do that anyway, even radiation sources at universitys are logged and monitored.

So lets make a giant underwater Sub park. Then all the Nuclear subs can pop in for a Little Chefnobyl breakfast whilst we syphon off some of the enegy their reactors are'nt using whilst they've stopped.

Is it a just rumour that a large number of ex-soviet warheads are unaccounted for?

Smidge? Lloyd
    Misty, thats warheads, not nuclear power stations. I mean apaprently they have 3 Nuclear power stations unaccounted for, but that may just be a rumour.

There is more radiation coming out the rocks where i live than would be allowed in a nuclear power plant.Hmmm breath the fresh country air full of Radon.

Isn't it based on the same fuel though - hence the fuss over Iran making it's own for power production? I'm no expert - please englighten me.

Someone or something must be enriched bofore any Nuclear things happen, apparently.

Yes it can be tritium, or plutonium or some other materials that need to be enriched, bit like making an alloy. It makes it unstable, basically it is trying to heatup melt and setitself on fire to get rid of all that energy. So you contain it, keep it at a temperature where it does not melt and suck off the heat and use that to boil water to turn turbines and make electricity.In a bomb it is used to provide the energy to crack an atom, so releasing the energy in a big bang. I believe that some nuclear war heads are missing, but the general consensus is that it was decominsened and dumbed by the russians and they have just lost the paperwork.

melt and suck off the heatThat's all I need to know.I'll take 6.

I don't trust it cause physicists invented it - I'm a chemist and the physicists have come up with many theories that are wildly inaccurate! take crystal field theory for one - explains about half the problem!

The problem with viable alternative energy is, with the size of the UK and it's population level there is no way this will be achieved in 50years let alone the 10 - 12years( my estimate ) before Oil is so expensive it's no longer viable itself.On the plus side, the culture shock of above could possibly create a mass culling on the Worlds population, which would then make current technology Viable. ( bad for the people alive then, good for the people a few generations later )Over Populated is our main problem IMHO. And Greedy!!!If there are Nukes, on the black market going around they'd of been used already, the USA went to great lengths to prevent russian nukes getting lost.( No flights from risky country to America Direct still, incase they sneak one on board )

What worries me isn't a nuclear reactor exploding or some other armageddon scenario it's when they work as they are supposed to but suddenly you find in the area cancer rates rise and the sea around the reactor becomes more radioactive and various other things that are written off as just coincidences occur but they tell you it's safe and before you know it whole areas of the earth are uninhabitable for hundreds of years .

Hungry monkey (globetrotting)
    imo the missing warheads isn't an issue concerning whether we have nuclear power. i personally hope they find the warheads and destroy them, and also get on with building some nuclear power plants. imo its one of the only realistic ways of producing continuous power without using fossil fuels.to be blunt, if shit did happen, and there was an explosion it would only be a relatively small proportion of the world population that would be affected, whereas if we continue to sit on our arses trying not to offend anyone the whole population of the world is going to be affected.all or nothing imo. either we take that (very small, minute) chance, or we fuck up the world.can anyone suggest any other viable options? (wind/wave/solar etc imo isn't efficient enough yet)