After not being able to get out on my bike or get to the gym for about 3 months cos of exams and disertations my fitness has totally gone. At Easter I could fly round the black route at hamsterly no problem and plod along on the exercise bike at the gym on level 15 with a steady heart rate of 160 for an hour easy. Now my HR is 160 on level 9.Any ideas of how to get my fitness level back up and how long it will take?

Long steady rides to start with, giving you a good base, gradually decrease the distance and up the intensity. Timespan depends on so many factors, but I'd recon at least another 3-4 months isn't unreasonable.

Ride your bike everyday.Takes me one or two weeks to get back to where I was before depending on days I've spent away. 5 days - 1 week9 days- 2 weeks12 days - fortnight in Spain.

#sniggering at Numpty's pseudo-scientific table#. What Nick said and bear in mind that muscles get stronger quicker than tendons and joints so don't overdo it.

#bear in mind that muscles get stronger quicker than tendons and joints so don't overdo it.#Wise wordsI wish Someone had told me that a couple of years ago, just before I got tendonitis which put me out of action for six months!

once your fat there is no going backthats what i say

Greg leMond used to reckon one week off meant two weeks to get back to where you were, for race fitness I don't think that's too far off. I'd say you're looking at at least as long as you've been off for again to get back to fitness.And remember nicks words! Basically it takes 3 to 6 weeks for muscle development to start depending on the individual, add two weeks to allow ligaments and tendons to develop too before you start upping the intensity.