Why do cycle cross people use the traditional 'road style' bike and not an mtb set up, is it so they can get more mud on their face and look the business ?

Becuase they are lighter bikes to carry over obastacles.

And cyclocross has higher speeds which are best obtained on a road bike not on an mtb set up.Course aren't technical/rough terrain enough to need an mtb set up either.

Isn't there a cycle cross course up Some Hill, think its called ingleton or something where the path is too steep and technical to ride up or down so they carry up and then carry back down again?Seemed a bit daft...why not just hike?

Cyclo X is basically a road race with mud, its all flat enough not to need little gears and big tyres. Although I did see a race once that wove in between an old set of dirt jumps, that was funny!

its legacy i suppose, when it first started the only style of bike they could go for is slightly modded road racers of the period. So they stuck with that style of bike. I sure if it was invented tommorrow they would go for some kind of mtb xc rig.

from the british cyclo-cross rule book....13 EQUIPMENT13.1 Category A, B, and C races shall be open to any type of bike without restriction, with the exception that all non-standard wheels must meet UCI regulations.13.2 Premier races are restricted to cyclo-cross bicycles only, as defined by the regulations of the UCI.seems if you want to ride in top races you have to ride official bikes" which makes 13.1 pointless if you want to progress."

I doubt they would you know, most courses aren't technical to necessitate MTBs, and its funny watching a guy on a 2k XC bike get smoked on a flat by someone on a knackered roadie!

The National inter area champs last week allowed mtb's.And the course took you through a bmx track,down a steep bank drop and a run up a set of 40 steps !!From my experience its the mtb races that are narrow minded by not allowing cyclocross bikes, not the other way round.

If an MTB was the tool upon which to win a CX race, the top guys would be using them. And to kind of echo what JD said, most MTB courses aren't technical enough to warrant an MTB :-)

If it was down a set of 40 stairs, that would cause a few upsets......

I've raced against CX'ers, in the 80's. They thought they could do the Leisure Lakes Trials, they could, but badly. They came back the next month with mountain bikes and pissed on everybody's chips.

Dont knock it, the three peaks cyclo cross is one of the toughest bike races in the world.Keith Bontrager loves it and comes every year, he is even developing a tyre specific to the event.He is a nice guy, we met him at the prize giving my team came second this year hurrah!!!The course is really tough, but people like Nick craig are now doing fell running to improve their chance of winning.It is awesome