Thinking of buying a cheap MP3 to make commutes/solitary rides buzz along a bit - good idea?and if so, what music works for which rides?

mp3 player v. good idea for road bike/sound track riding. Wouldn't ride off road myself wt mp3 player - I like to hear absouloutly everything, such as gear changes, chain slap/tension, stuff beneath wheels - that sort of thing. Personally I find there is too much to be aware of off road for mp3 use.On road & for running mp3 player assist is great. Start with calm tunes for warm up so you don't start spin/big ring mashing too early causing all sorts of unpleasentness! classical, ambient mood music perhaps hereendless choices of personal preferences.Plug, LTJ, 4hero, Frank Sinatra, Super Tramp...Blasting music -Recent faves include some power house remixes of Frankie goes to Hollywood. Drum n bass - heavier & more disturbed the better. Dom & Roland. Ed Rush.Heavy Rock & good pop perhaps..The strokes. LCD SoundsytemI think anything up tempo works really.I find it is a good time to really 'hear' stuff.I like listening to all my Miles Davis stuff on longer road rides.all good fun..

Mike!
    any mp3 player with playlist support...mine doesn't...even still, i love it, and commuting goes a helluva lot faster, plus you don't have to hear chavs shout at you.

On mine I've got a vast of array of stuff, randomised playlists with something hardcore/metal/screamo like Still Remains, Hondo Maclean, Alexisonfire... blahblahblahThen something for pretty(er) like Weezer, Thrice, Taking Back Sunday, Alkaline Trio, InMe, Hell Is For Heroes, Interpol, Hundred Reasons... Does make roads go faster, don't use off road never really felt a need to.

Mike!
    *holds back*well, apart from inme, but that's for another reason, i've been a fan for flippin' ages.

lol !knew that'd get you goinbut inme are frankly cracking band

Mike!
    c'mon, thrice are the only reason i'm NOT going to see coheed and cambria...(i also like coheed for another reason)

inme????!................pleeeeeez....stop it,stop it right now!I was thinking more along the lines of Atari's,Less than jake,Alkaline trio, t'Offspring etc............

The Über Rusty Gates
    Have to say Meat Loaf when riding offroad (only in one ear mind) nothing like listening to 'bat out of hell' when hitting the tracks..... makes me ride harder for some reason!

Mad,Mad Mark
    Motorhead - The Ace Of Spades... The best trail song ever....Also listen to Foo Fighters..Korn...System of a Down...The Prodigy...Red Hot Chili Peppers...Puddle of Mudd...What ever takes my fancy at the time.But i have already gone through 3 players riding on the trails...Damaged one by getting wet,fell off and crushed another one, and i dropped number 3 and ran over it with my back wheel..

Pimpmaster Jazz
    I never commute in traffic wearing an MP3 ?*it's an accident waiting to happen. However, on those long woodland rides or through local trails on my own it's very good to have a rocking soundtrack on the go...

Pimpmaster Jazz
    Sorry ? use an iPod mini and have a few playlists which varies from Funeral for a Friend, Rancid and Shootyz Groove to french hip-hop, Amy Newton and Jack Johnson.

the authentic Jim
    mp3 is sweet but not on road can't here carsand all you need is the fabric live collection and some Dave Clarke. Every ride donein double quick time.

If you need music to get you through a cycle ride then maybe you should consider another pass-time.

Whoa,there! What's this passtime lark?Just trying to combine two givens in life, O.K.? ........get off the high horse, dear........

the authentic Jim
    I don't think anyone here needs music to get through a ride but it makes it so much better!!!!!