If you own a Lumicycle halide light unit don't try and disassemble it. My light was not coming on without several attempts so being a can't help fiddling" type I tried to undo the nut on the socket. It was then I found out the nut has superglue in the thread and when I tried to undo it, it sheared the socket inside. Luckily I've got it working again with a bit of bodging."

Mike the Bike (Southern softie)
    sp how do you replace a bulb then?

Erm, you unscrew the front of the housing, take the bulb out and put a new one in - simple.If your HID accidentally switches off mid-ride, you need to leave it for ten seconds or so before you switch it back on btw. You shouldn't switch them on and off mid-ride btw, it shortens both the bulb and battery life. Best to switch on at the beginning and off again at the end.

Lumi are one of the few that advertise their HID as being user changeable. I'm not sure which nut biscuit was trying to undo though.

Sounds like the one that holds the switch on at the back of the unit, which you shouldn't need to touch unless you're changing the light unit. The bulb is genuinely easy to change, without any tools - the front of the housing just unscrews to reveal the bulb which is a press fit into the light holder / ballast unit. It is really simple.If you break a Lumi halide bulb btw, bear in mind that they are 55 quid from The Rush, which is 20 squid less than Lumi charges for an identical bulb. So far I've not smashed one riding, but I've seen Mike from BM drop one on a hard office floor a trash the bulb instantly, so my advice is not to throw them at hard objects...

Doh, brain not functioning. you shouldn't need to mess with that switch unless you're changing the switch unit, or the rubber shroud thing over it.

Mike the Bike (Southern softie)
    Right - see what the question was now - not had to change the bulb yet - and usally feel if it ain't broke - don't fiddle!!

If your HID accidentally switches off mid-ride"Does that happen often?"

Nope, if you're carelessly fumbling with the light to change the angle on the bars with gloves on, you can occasionally hit the switch by mistake and turn it off, but if you have a modicum of coordination, it's not a serious issue. You also want to tether the power cable to the stem with, say, a zip-tie or one of those Velcro strips just to remove the possibility of something catching it and pulling the the plug out of the back of the light unit. On 99 per-cent of rides, you switch the light on when you start cycling and switch it off again once you've finished.

Mike the bike is right. I wish I hadn't touched it but I fitted a new switch and fixed the socket and now its working again. Thank god. Don't think I could have afforded another one.

My Halide light and Li Ion battery are fine, but I don't know how to remove the ballast or toggle switch to test them. Is the ballast glued in with heat-proof glue?

Can I be the first to say "Holy thread-resurrection Batman...."

Lumicycle ballast removal

Quote Originally Posted by Alx View Post
    Can I be the first to say "Holy thread-resurrection Batman...."
    I found by enserting a snug-fitting socket in the bakelite? ballast cylinder to avoid crushing it, then gently turning with pliers directly on the bakelite that I could pull the ballast out of the aluminum housing. Sure enough there was a blue smudsh which I think was a heat-resistant glue of some sort. The ballast and light tested OK. It was the circuit board. Its chip is 5-pin which I think was made for various light intensities on other lamps by keeping the output voltage to 14-15 v for lamp longevity. Any ideas if other voltage inputs than Lumicycle work, because this lamp and ballast are used by other manufacturers?