Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I'm a bit shaken: Coming home this evening on my commute past York station, it's dark, but I'm running very good lights all round so I'm pretty confident I'm very visible. I'm going quite fast, as usual; and there are cars to the left waiting to pull out from the station exit. Although there's some cycle-lane there, I often go slightly further into the road as often people on the side road will tend to nose out into the cycle lane. Suddenly one of the cars that was waiting, decides to pull out, and I brake as strongly as possible (I have Mono minis) and move to the right, but still manage to hit the drivers side, and take out the mirror with my bars. He roars off, but stops at the next light and the window rolls down and the usual round of argy-bargy ensues. It turns out he thought I was going too fast", and that I was "riding out of control" as I failed to stop in time after he pulled out in front of me. What a complete load c**p. So now it's the bike's fault for being in the way when somebody decides to pull out in front of you. Wonder if he'd tell that to the driver of a bus, if he pulls out in front of a bus?I'll add that to my list of stupid excuses I have heard, along with the 'bikes have to give way to cars', 'bikes are only allowed in cycle lanes' and 'I didn't see you'.Anybody else heard any real grade A cr*p from somebody that just tried to run you off the road?"

the DefenderDan(Goog's just jealous)
    dont worry you can say crap i think Did you get his number?.....i kicked a car door once when a guy pulled into the cycle lane as i was coming down the inside, pure idiot, one of those people who resents sitting in traffic and doesnt like the fact i didnt have to

Alan...........................................................
    Afdter a narrow escape a few uears ago the driver of the white van informed me that 'you're only on a bike' not chuffed'and you don't pay road tax' mmI informed that I pay road tax on 2 cars and 2 motorcycles so on the basis that I'm paying more than him under his rules he should be making way for meWe agreed to differ

Several times and unless you're injured the police don't want to know.Minor victories include whipping out the car keys and taking them to the Gendarmerie then waiting for the owner to turn up.

Police here would nick you for theft.Anyway, slightly off topic, whay have the gendames allowed this nonsense to go on for so long? Almost two weeks. Would have only been a few years ago that a good few heads would have been cracked. Shoot into the crowd, I say. Teach 'em a lesson.Anyway, yeah, nicked for theft, you would be.

The Gendarmes thought it was all pretty amusing and reminded the driver that the 'code' says cyclists must be given a metre when over taking and clouting them with a caravan is not on. Regarding the riots: the Gendarmes have been told 'pas de bavures', no cock ups, which means getting the culprits into clink without killing or injuring any of them. A bit more time consuming than shooting into the crowd but safer for the rest of the population in the long term.

Yep, you're right. Still a shame though.Sorry, where were we? Bloody car drivers. I'm sure a lot of 'em think it's one licence per family.

I often kick or punch doors and windows, just because people don't bloody look. Whenever driing I'm careful of such things, some people are so stupid. need to strap a digi cam to ur bars on each hourney and video the commute, catch the bastids that way

Dylan, remain calm go over to him then ...Splat his nose over his face, remove the car keys and deposit them into a local drain ( Thru them into a nearby Canal in my case )Stops them from running you over after, or chasing you, then get the hell outta there LOLUse a different route home though, maybe the car for a few days.I've always been abit subtle though

Driving instrucor, 18years back going to pick up a client, over takes me badly, then turns left right ontop of me, I smack into the side but he don't even notice.Little Cul De Sac, shout at him, he's not got a clue he's done anything, kick in a few panels and buggered off.2years later, guess who my driving instructor is LOL mid winter had a balaclava on so doesn't recognise me LOL

Any bleeding heart liberally, get all thats wrong bla bla bla bla they got off light they should both be done for attempted murder.Not that the police would be interested unless your already dead.

Monday nightStudent pulls out of car park into me. I slam on the brakes and just manage to miss her. She is shouting at me, saying she didn't see me, despite the yellow jacket and lights.Tuesday nightIdiot turns right across my path trying to beat me into the road I am turning left into. He gets a bang on the roof. All he can do is shout obscenities. I have so much respect for someone who can hold a reasoned argument.WednesdayThe way is clear so I pull out onto a main road. Some idiot comes tanking up behind me (he saw me but didn't touch the brakes) flashing his lights. Cue argument--What the ****were you doing pulling out in front of me like that?-Hmmm. How fast were you going?-Forty-Well, if you look at the sign up there you will see that the speed limit is 30 on this section of road.-Oh forget it!

FLaP
    As a biker and a car driver I can see both sides. What is a problem at the moment is people cycling home on fast, unlit roads and they have the smallest of lights on the front and back and wear no reflective gear at all (but they have a helmet on!!!!)Guys c'mon make sure you are as visible as possible.Commuting to work is something I hope to start in the new year, but I will make sure I am visible!!!!!

sarah m.
    This is my second week of commuting to work, which I've been waiting to be able to do for years. I really enjoy it but on every commute there seems to be an incident or near-incident. I'm hoping that it's just inexperience and that I'll learn how to handle situations better.Also thankfully now I've discovered a good off-road route for the morning run but on a night I've started staying back until 7 so the roads are calmer.Anyone else here commute in Durham? I imagine York is also horrendous for commuting, my (probably wrong) theory is old Roman cities with crap road systems breed god-awful drivers who only think about themselves.

I know what you mean Flap. I followed a student out of hte university last night. It wqas dark, she had black clothes on, a dark bike with no lights or reflectors. You couldn't see her at all. I told her so and suggested that she buy some lights if she doesn't want to get squashed. I thought she was going to cry.All my incidents have been when I was wearing a yellow jacket, 2 front and 2 rear lights, and a bike covered in helicopter tape. Some drivers are just idiots.

Used to wear big Para boots to courier about Londinium, that and a GI tin lid with a Mowhawk haircut underneath. A dink on the window is usually enough to say hello, a kick to the drivers door panel is sweet, so long as they are stuck in traffic and you know your way out of the area. None of the above should be tried, seems to me folk are much more likely to hop out of their car and try bop you one. Course kicking the door shut on a leg as it's trying to get the owner closer to your person is perfectly acceptable. And hurts like hell, not too hard though, cos that'll break the bone.Had a big Taxi driver cut me up about six weeks ago, I slapped his van/taxi. He slammed on the brakes and got out, big stocky sod too. Well, I'm no slouch so I just squared up to him, which made him shat out straight away, big amsterdam pussy. In London I think I would have taken a beating.Don't get physical!

Near miss" is exactly what it says on the jar. A near miss. It's over. Finished. Rejoice in the fact that you've experienced it. Would you get angry if lighning struck a tree next to where you were cycling? No, it's a near miss.No driver is going to deliberatly strike you. They're all misjudged manoevers. How many do you make?And before you think I'm a driver, I'm not. Not even a car owner and have commuted EVERY day in London for 20ish years. The negative interactions that I have experienced have generally been with car doors being opened on me because not everytime can you overtake wide.So remember: rejoice in the miss."

Wise words.How did that happen Bobby?!

Stevo2
    I say try to follow the bugger, wait till he,or she, parks up and crap on his ,or her, bonnet!

Mike! (now has a comment in brackets)
    yeserday i was pretty good car-wise, although i did have someone try to turn into me again!luckily they were turning into a car park, and i could too to avoid, and have a go :-)