Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ming the Merciless, Supreme Overlord of speeders!
    The reason I ask is that today I was hammering down one of my regular even ride hills and the bridleway ends in a short road/close. This woman looks at me from where she has parked her car (we made eye contact) and then the stupid bitch steps out in front of me as if to make me stop.Now I was doing 20-25mph so just held my line and made her stop, so I look over my shoulder and see I'm getting a filthy look.I accept I was motoring but don't feel I was in the wrong, as I was in control and barring people doing stupid things able to stop in the distance I could see.So is there such a thing as a bridleway speed limit??Think I'll give that route a miss for a few weeks incase the daft cow decides to string up some cheese wire.

Alan..............................lots of questions......
    I had to look inot this a couple of years ago after a mate of mine nearly collided with a farmer who angrily told us that the speed limit on bridleways was 5mph.Information was qute sparse but from what I did find it would appear that the speed limit is in fact the national one as there has never been one put in law otherwise.However, there are other laws that you need to be aware of, thre main ones being those like driving with due care and attention and the like.Basically what that means is that if you hit a walker and it becomes obvious that you are doing a good speed that you can't stop in time from then you are at fault in the eyes of the law.Basically I think you just have to give way to walkers and horses and make sure the path ahead is clear before going too fast

I have seen horses making good progress" on bridal ways so don't see why bikes should go any slower.."

I believe the Saddle Club recommends that horse riders don't go faster than a canter on Bridleways, which is a fair speed for a cyclist.

Senior Member Mustrum Ridcully - Kicking Against The Pricks's Avatar
    When on horseback, I believe that courtesy requires that I go past any other users of a bridleway in walk. I generally try to do the same on a bike, and go past others at walking speed, or just over walking speed.
    SIMMERING CAULDRON OF RAGE

Vegeeta
    Bah... ride fast enough and they'll never catch you anyway. Besides, what are they going to do put number plates on bikes and Gatso cameras on every bridleway?If that actually happens, I'd better get some commision on the revenue

John barbedwire
    bikes aren't subject to speed limits anyway

You can get nicked for speeding on a bikeCAn't remember the term used now, it's something like 'driving a cycle ferosciously'

Senior Member Mustrum Ridcully - Kicking Against The Pricks's Avatar
    It's not a matter of legality, it's a matter of common courtesy.
    SIMMERING CAULDRON OF RAGE

Agreed there tooThere are groups such as harse riders and ramblers, I mean only some not all, who would like to see less cyclning on bridleways and the more they get evidence that cyclists are acting in such a way to affect other bridleway users the more likely that law makers may change laws.I think we're safe from speed cameras though

was that meant to say hores riders or arse riders?

**horse**!!!

national speed limit? 70mph bloody hell thats flying!

60 is the national limit

in uttar pradesh its 138 kph

John barbedwire
    60 on single carriageways, 70 on duals. soooo, doubletrack fireroads = 70mph?

Furious pedalling I think is the legal term.

Furious, that's it I'd almost like to have that on my record

Dark Lord Chuckles - The Silly Piggy
    It is also illegal to race on a bridalwaySo if we can persude one of the fuzz who post on here to come to the peaks, when Sin and Dyl race down Jacobs they can arrest them both at the bottom