Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oui ou non?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4585221.stm so, La France goes to the vote on the EU constitution. Now, if you ask me, only a State needs a constitituion, and I feel that Europe is too large and too diverse an area ever to be under the umbrella of one state. Of course, if Les Grenoouilles vote Non" then the technocrats in Brussels will almost certainly just go ahead with whatever they want to do anyway, so what, exactly, is the point? "

Nurse Padowan Hobbit
    I think it sets the tone for the rest of Europe. The Frogs have been pro-Europe for yonks and have been quite open about that (good for them, I say, but anyway...) but if they vote against the constitution on Sunday it opens the door for other countries to start doubting the whole scheme a la well, if those staunch pro-Euro Froggies aren't keen, then maybe it *is* a bad idea..." Stand by for mass wailing and gnashing of teeth in Bruxelles and frantic rearrangement of the whol;e constitution to give it a more Francofriendly edge."

yeah what chance has it got of being voted for in the UK if the French don't want it.

A Non vote would give our Tone an easy opt out, that means he wouldn't have to have a referndum that he knows he would lose.

The French don't want it because they're so insular and protectionist. The only reason they have been pro-Europe all this time is because they have benefitted enormously. Look at the wine growers protests this week. Just because people (even the Frnch) are fed up with drinking wine that tastes as if it's been strained though a tramps sock, they are protesting, throwing petrol bombs at the police and I can hardly believe this, but they have also spawned a militant terrosist wing that is blowing up tankers of cheaper Spanish imports.What'll happen now? Well, the French government will do everything it can to ensure that foreign wine imports are taxed so heavily that the French people will buy French again because its cheaper. With a European constitution, the French proletariat is afraid they will no longer be able to do this AND demand massive subsidies from Europe.

according to my French (commie) friends, the Non" vote is because the consititution is based around economics rather than social issues, and would mean a move toward US & UK style capitalism away from social democracy.We analysed the constitution documents: the most frequent words were "Bank" and markets."

Well CT, I definately think it will affect our decision next year when we have the chance to vote on it! Still not sure however whether its a good or bad thing!

You won't get the chance to vote Sinead. A French non means Blair cancels the UK referendum. The vibes I'm getting are that the nons are more motivated than the ouis and more likely to get off their butts and vote on Sunday.I can't vote I drink local wines because I like them Lardy. Madiran, St Mont and Juranšon.

Nurse Padowan Hobbit
    You a frog, John?

Does Ste get half a vote, I wonder?

'e's a bloody immigrant, innee?

Nope Hobbit, I was born and brought up in Birmingham. I've spent over half my adult life here though.

Nurse Padowan Hobbit
    Ah ha! I see.

SloBoy Three Bikes" Fukawi"
    I reckon the EU probably needs a constitution but may be not this one.It may be over the next 30 years we'll enter a new era of multiple super powers, following nearly 20 years of 1 + the rest.If China and India continue to grow their economies and skill levels as they have been, Europe may need to stand together to retain a seat at the top table rather than the 2-4 seats that we currently command (2 at the security council, 4 at the G8)

I drink local wines because I like them Lardy. Madiran, St Mont and Juranšon."Fair enough - each to their own. But just because some people like to experiemnt, it's no reason for the growers to start civil unrest. There must be a reason why the French population are drinking more imports and that reason, to my mind, is that French winemakers have doggedly stuck to 'tradition' instead of evolving like the new world wine producers, and a number of the old world producers. I'm a big fan of Spanish and Italian wines because they ahve realised that theyy cannot make time stand still and produce excellent wines as a result.Anyway, thats all a bit off topic! I imagine it won't be just France that votes no (if indeed there are more votes after the French referendum)."

The Dutch are also highly likely to vote no.

Sloboy I reckon the EU probably needs a constitution but may be not this one."Something to tidy up the treaties of Rome, Maastricht and Nice and clearly define the extent to which the EU can meddle in national government. Most Europeans still don't fully understand the extent to which their leaders have already signed away national perogatives.IMO the constitution would have to be a step back from the current situation not more power for Brussels if Europeans are to vote for it."

A pretty good turnout so far. The Front National have just had crates of Champagne delivered to their Campagne pour le Non headquaters.

Senior Member Goaty-Death Facilitator.....'s Avatar
    It would appear the French have said 'Non'
    Engineering death in the EU.....

So, France give it a solid two fingers, and the Dutch have scuppered the ship totally. And yet....and yet...anyone see Neil Get me on the EU Gravy Train" Kinnock on the news this morning? Apparently, it's all because the electorate are stupid and wrong and therefore Europe should just ignore the result. WTF? I think someone else on the news had it much better, describing it as a "joyous outbreak of democracy". Well done the French and the Dutch, for both standing up against this technocracy of Europe. And, finally....is it prescient that the German central bank were recently discussing what to do if/when the Euro ceases to exist?"