Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    My Main Partition Went down, totally lost everything, 100% corrupted.I suspect Microsoft are Nobbling, old original XP installs with the old Leaked keys, reason for this is 2 other hard disks have died the same with the same XP, which a mates went out to fix over the last few days.Hardware and Software Firewall, but was running and chatting over MSN which gives Microsoft pretty much full access Could, also be a coincidence, 3 hard disks being corrupted totally, in a few days ofcourse.That XP install had been running for 3years all the important stuff backed up thankfully, but so much other stuff lost and going to need re setting up, TOTALLY sucks.

sprokitt
    Sorry to here that Dyl. Hope you didn't lose any data regarding the couple of projects you're catching up with.Wonder if it's anything to do with M$'s '

sprokitt
    ... ah, just read LBS thread...You did lose a lot of work. Think you might need a night ride to de-stress...

Back luck Dylan, but then you shouldn't *really* use illegal software (and you most def. should not be admitting that you do on here a public web forum ;-)But Microsoft are utter ba$tards, if they sold their software at more reasonable prices then there wouldn't be as much piracy!Use Linux instead!

Padowan Hobbit (aka Darling Flasheart)
    I'm with you on that Ollie. Using dodgy software is a bit naughty BUT if Microsoft wasn't so heavy-handed AND sold their software and much more reasonable prices AND didn't make everything so similar-software reliant I think more people would be inclined to buy their products rather than nick them.

Could, also be a coincidence, 3 hard disks being corrupted totally, in a few days ofcourse."probably, they cannot just corrupt your data you nonce"

Dyl,what make were the hard disks, just out of interest?M$ were talking about crippling dodgy installations by not alowing you to install updates & patches, except the very serious threats (as they put it).I had a look at their new anti-spyware proggie a few weeks ago, and all of a sudden the nag screen to activate windws cropped up again. So that was uninstalled pretty sharpish. But I have to concur, I saw how much M$ wanted for a copy of XP and thought sod that. I have a dlt drive here; it's only 40/80Gb, but it's enough to back up my essential data.I'll be looking at bluray when it's finally released though. DLT tapes are so unreliable.

Sprokkit count me in on a night ride, proberley get out on 1 tonight CO, samsung I think, so a IBM really, hard disk other 2 partitions, and that one reformatted is just fine.Put alot across onto the laptop, I keep alot of important e-mails from clients though so there all gone and loads of other stuff, oh well there gone And yes Dan M$ could unoficially corrupt someone's hard disk, if they so choose, not officially but they can and will do.

Dyl, That's unusual. IBM make half decent drives. You can still retrieve the data. Have a look around the net for some data recovery tools.It might not get it all back, but some is better than none surely?

M$ could unoficially corrupt someone's hard disk"yer but think of the fucking ethics, you could sue them for millions imho - i hate threads like this scaremongering with no FACT to back it up"

Aye, Dan.If people noticed that M$ were doing naughty things like intentionally corrupting peoples data, (they don't need to do it intentionally, windows and it's default setup does quite a good job already)... There would be a lot of happy lawyers over in, Septicland :-)

Dan, 3 hard disks locally in a short space of time all go down with there partition information totally screwed, in a way I've not seen before, abit to coincidental for my likings.Odds where all where setup using one of the early leaked onto the net XP Corp codes.It's a illegal version, so what come back of any of us go, Microsoft has said in the past they won't use such tactics incase it harms people who do own it, I guess they feel its time to give us a slapping.

CO IBM sold on there drives for a reason I'm afraid, and that is they suck, they fail alot without warning.I tried everything last night, nothing left to recover, which is odd cause Fat32 normally has a duplicate copy.Oh well, damage isn't that bad, mainly the day to setup and the coding lost, but thats all re written, and just off to demonstrate and hopefully get paid this months installment, so I can get the Car sorted

Dyl,I've got one of the deskstars in one of my machines here. No worries with it at all... Now Western Digital... Don't get me started on them ;-)Though I do seemt to remember hearing about someone sueing them (IBM) for a particulary bad batch of drives.All formatting does is reset flags on the h/d stating it's ok to write to a given sector, if the data's not been overwritten, it's usually quite easy to salvage it..Bear in mind that to *securely* wipe data it's recommended that it's overwritten a minimum of seven times with random one and noughts ;-)It sounds more like you've caught a virus with a nasty payload rather than been subject to M$ underhand tactics.

Dylan, I think all that weed is making you paranoid ;-)

my xp drive died last week - legal copy though (i think)

cough apple mac cough

cough fashion coughhttp://www.singlemacworld.co.uk

cough a lot of people who can't afford them say that cough

and a lot of people who can never buy one again.