Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Raymond 'Ste' Jive-Funk
    so, i've put my name down to do an amatuer tri on sunday.500 meter swim (i haven't swam in years, but i surf a bit so figured i can swim 500 meters.... )12 mile cycle (no problems there then, i'll make up good time hopefully)3 mile run (i *can* run 3 miles in a fairly reasonable time last time i tried, but i probably won't be able to walk the next day..... no great lossok, on saturday i figured, maybe i should go for a run and a swim at some point..... 3 mile run... went pretty badly, had to stop twice, not cos of fitness, but my calves felt like they were gonna explodealthough i haven't been out on the bike nearly as much as i should have been, the cycle should make up time.... good job.today... FOUR days before the event (i should be resting for christ sakes) i decide to check i'm cool with swimming 500 meters.i'm not. i had to stop every 125 meters.bugger.

Erik the faceless Viking
    Ste you should be fine...most important thing about swimming is to keep your head above water now and then so that you can breath!!

Raymond 'Ste' Jive-Funk
    that's some wicked advice, thanks.i did 500 in 17 minutes. that's with stopping every 150 to take a breach/cough up my guts/die

Raymond 'Ste' Jive-Funk
    *break*

Erik the faceless Viking
    I'd like to think I could do tri but my down fall would be the running. Just don't seem to have the ability to keep going for more that 200mtrs.I'm guessing this swim will be out doors/sea. Will you be braving the elements in some feting speedos or a wet suit?

Raymond 'Ste' Jive-Funk
    actually, this one's in a pool which is a relief..... mostly considering it takes me about half an hour to get out of my wetsuit : )

There'll be other chancers there - it won't all be carbon fibre and titanium vitamin munchers. Enjoy!

Raymond 'Ste' Jive-Funk
    that's what i'm worried about, getting beaten by a 50year old fatboyi'm used to being beaten by nippers, that's not embarrasing anymore.

Its your first go - no ones expecting you to win!Have fun and try not to die.: D

Erik the faceless Viking
    1 hour to get in the wet suit....unable to move properly and 1 hour to get out of it......I know the feeling!!

Raymond 'Ste' Jive-Funk
    as long as i don;t come lst i'll be reasonably happy.i'm sure on race day i'll be fine... the buzz of the crowd, yadda, yadda

Raymond 'Ste' Jive-Funk
    and i'm trying to eat healthily for the rest of the week..... a bit last minute i know but i'm sure replacing choccy and crisps with fruit and chips with pasta can only do me good: )

Raymond 'Ste' Jive-Funk
    as long as i don;t come lst "sorry, that was meant to readas long as i don't come last"

LolComing last isn't always bad. I decided to get a team together for the General Knowledge at work, two people dropped out and the rest of us were only going really for the free food and drink. We came last - unsurprisingly - out of 27 teams but got chocolates as a consolation prize! I'm convinced its better to come last and get chocolate than to come second-last and receive nothing.: DKeep the healthy thing going for another week and you'll be able to jog up Snowdon!

Erik the faceless Viking
    I was wondering about that 1st comment but thought I'd leave it.Anyway good luck and have fun.Sunday I shall be getting sea sick whilst sailing around the Isle of White.

Raymond 'Ste' Jive-Funk
    that was a thought actually Di, as i've hardly been out on my bike at all this year i could do with being fitter for wales

Mate, for the swim, pace yourself, if you can, use mainly arms and only kick occassionally to stop your legs sinking, I'm assuming it's indoors, so don't worry about fancy head lifts, stay relaxed and make sure you get a drink during the transistion stage. Lay your kit out to make it easier to change, relax during the cycle and take the opportunity to hydrate as much as you can, again try and stay relaxed as tensing can tire you out..It's abit eleventh hour, but start gentle stretching to help the old claves, cyclists are prone to tight calves so running may cause cramp / soreness.Practice the transisitons aswell, this is usually where the crowds gather, so a bit of a practice will stop you looking a numpty.. Above all enjoy it!I used to do Triathlon, if you want some help e-mail and I'll give you some extra advice...Good luck though!

If your calfs are tight you might try a quick stretch when you get off the bike. You might be at risk of cramping after the repetitive cycling action. Been there Something like this http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gastrocnemius/Wall.htmlYou don't necessarily need a wall.

Ste, you've got age on you side the rest of us old and unfit!

Not at all Disgruntled Llama
    Ste:If you thought it was a little tricky running wait till get off the bike and try - you'll be quoting Forrest Gump, But you ain't got no legs, Lieutenant Dan""