Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Arsey Alpaca
    Today, my boss went through some copy of mine and changed all the dates from 1st September etc.to1 SeptemberWithout giving any valid reason other than she prefers it that way.This isn't even being pedantic - it's whimsey.I want to kill her.

DO IT!

There's some git in the office I'm visiting sitting three feet away humming, whistling and warbling along to Radiohead The Bends.And he supports Man U, and I have a hangover.My powers of self control are truly god-like. I really want to stab him.

SloBoy
    I used to have a boss that I had a long running (7 year) disagreement overe whether it was ok to say the data is ..." rather than "the data are ...".In the end we skirted around it. I always wrote "the set of data is ...""

Arsey Alpaca
    'Kin whistlers, I want to kick their front teeth out, that'd fix 'em!

Arsey Alpaca
    It's the data are.The datum is.IGMC

Arsey Alpaca
    But it don't read right does it?

A datum pole? Is that not a measuring system for builders getting ground levels.. level?

the word data is now both singular and plural, so it was the boss who was a being an old stick in the mud.

My old boss always changed forecast to forcast, insisting this was correct. He did that for 5 years, even though spell check proved him wrong...Never once in those years did he NOT find something petty to change in my board reports.And, if I occasionally left my dirty mug on my desk overnight, he used to hide my mug (we each had our own) to make a point. So I used someone else's mug....He also had a stated policy of making sure he broke" all new staff - this consisted of him making women cry in front of him, & blokes lose it & swear at him so he could give them a warning. Sadly he got to me once, though I avoided the warning!"

most of my bosses have been ok, compared to the above anyway.I once left a memo on a bosses desk, and he said it was in the wrong in-tray or something. Later on he told me off for saying that getting some work done 'would be no problem', apparently i was supposed to perceive that i would have a problem. When I pointed out that I was confident that I could overcome any of the potential difficulties he foresaw, he said I was being arrogant, and that it 'didn't fit on my shoulders'.

Arsey Alpaca
    One of my bosses got so fed up with us not washing our mugs he got a hammer and smashed most of them.This was for a hairy-arsed courier company though and such behaviour was common place.

I was a tw@ of a boss when I was self employed.

Think you's have it bad! We were on a training excercise in Dartmoor last October. I told my Company Commander that i was off into the hills at the weekend and gave him a route card of my chosen path.'Oh no, i can't let you go into the hills on your own in this weather' he said.I pointed out to him that i was a qualified mountain leader and i'd been doing this for over 20 years on my own and with parties of recruits and children, 'No, sorry, your not going unless someone accompanies you'So, I can be trusted to lead an 8 man section of men through hostile featurless enemy territory in Iraq with maps that resemble a pissed mattress but i can't go hillwalking on Dartmoor with an 1.25,000 OS map!F*ck him. I went anyway!

I once had an ongoing and detailed argument/discussion with boss and his secretary over whether the proper format for colons was: or was : (i.e. space before colon or not). Likewise had major discussion with client on whether you applied for a waste licence or waste license.

Damn straight AW. Who rescued you?

Arsey Alpaca
    What was the conclusion Phil? Don't leave us all on tenterhooks!If I could be bothered I would argue with my boss that it is unecessary (and visually unappealing) to place semi colons ';' at the end of bullet points.I also had a lengthy debate over the title of a poster for an event:International Students EveningorInternational Students' EveningI argued that the evening wasn't possessive. Guess what she argued.

Arsey Alpaca
    Sorry, missed off the ? there.

So no-one has gone full fledged Postal on their boss yet, but it sounds like it's coming. And I suspect only the mighty Airbourne W has access to anti boss weaponry. This whistling Fu*ker is about to get a sharpened laptop in his neck though.

My boss is a God Botherer! need I say more...