PIG "anything can be fixed with common sense
    I need some help with my computer and I knwo you are a clever and helpful lot so...I just got a shiny new computer with a clear bit and a blue light in the side and everything. Amongst the everything" bit, is and 80 gig hard drive. Here is where I find the problem. My computer is convinced it is a 1.99 gig hard drive even though 'tis 80. Help me please!! I have XP if that makes any difference btw. Thanks in advance to the clever helpful ones and insults to the non-helpful smart arses."

Did you install XP yourself? It sounds as though when XP was installed, it was put onto a 2 gig partition, and the rest has remained unpartitioned.If so, two choices. 1) Re-format the drive, re-install everything and this time create 1 massive partition of all 80 gig.2) Just format the other 78gig and have that as a 'second' hard drive with a different letter.I'd recomend the second, option.To check, go to control panel - systemthen 'hardware' and device manager.From here, expand 'disk drives' and then doubleclick on the drive. Finally, go to volumes, and then click on the 'populate button'I think it will show that you have 78gig of unallocated space, in which case post back.Duncan

PIG 'tralalalala'
    what you described, lots of unallocated space.I'm on using a different email address now, but I am the same person.

From the windows help file:-To create a partition or logical driveUsing the Windows interfaceOpen Computer Management (Local). (*See Below)In the console tree, click Disk Management.Where?Computer Management (Local)StorageDisk Management Right-click an unallocated region of a basic disk, and then click New Partition, or right-click free space in an extended partition, and then click New Logical Drive. In the New Partition Wizard, click Next, click Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive, and then follow the instructions on your screen. Notes*To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. You must be logged on as a computer administrator in order to complete this procedure. You can create up to four primary partitions, or three primary partitions and one extended partition.

Just to add, haveing 2 (or more) partitions isn't unusual or a problem, in fact it can be a very good way of ensuring that the computer keeps working well.Try not to install or save anything on teh C drive, just keeop that for the Windows files (swap file, updates, etc) and store MP3s, install games etc on the other partition.

Just a word of warning - a lot of games (even games from people that should know better, like Microsoft) will only run properly if installed in the default location they suggest on the C drive. Installation in another partition, or even in a different directory can cause problems from jerking through to complete OS failure (motocross madness is one such game - thank goodness for safe mode).If you can I'd just go back and reformat the entire drive as a single partition, then re-install the OS. Although you might be able to use something like disk commander to reassign the partition without having to reinstall.

To save the hassle of reformatting the thing there are various tools which can change a partition size. Partition magic is one such tool. I have used it many times to dig myself out of a hole (and big a bigger hole sometimes). You can buy them online and download and use them right away.Would recommend having a reasonably (5gb at least) 'c' drive as regardless of where you tell some stuff to install they also stick stuff in c:\windows, and as others have pointed out, some stuff will not run unless it's c, or just install to c anyway.

I do this for a living so can safely say:In the life of your PC your Windows directory (Folder in ewhich all windows files are stored) will grow. I've been running mine now for about 8 months and it's already up to 1.5gig. This does not include your Documents and settings folder which stores all the users personnel details.Partion Magic is an option but if you are unconfident with your PC/software skills re-format and reinstall (although this can be confusing aswell if you don't know what your doing!!!)The best thing to do is reformat the thing and start from scratch. Do what I do, if there's someting your new to with PC's look on the internet and you'll find the answer....... For example http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/setup.html

PIG 'tralalalala'
    Thanks again to everyone. After doing as Duncan described, I realised that a 2 gig C drive wasn't enough, and what AM has said seems true also.Righty. Since this PC was semi DIY, I dont have a boot disk to format the hardrive with and so far my attempts at creating a boot disk have failed miserably. Little more help? I REALLY dont want to go to PC world...Ben

Paul Sheppard
    Sound more like the disk was fat16 formatted, that has a 2GB limit. When you do re-format, make sure you do it to fat32, or NTFS.There may even be a utility to change to fat32 on the fly in windows. you won't need to reinstall everything, and if the drive was set up with one partion, you'll get the whole 80GB in one lump.It may surprise people that some time clicking 'start' then 'help' sometimes does.

You won't need aboot disk with XP. Just pop the CD in the CD drive, set the Bios to boot from the CD and XP should walk you through the rest.If you really want to reformat the thing manually. email me and I'll send you the files. You will need a non-XP PC to make a boot disk though. XP won't let you do that.

PIG 'tralalalala'
    OK, just to let you know I'm still a wee bit stuckted. The XP CD didn't seem to work.I have a few options from what I can see. Let us remember, I'm a bit of a luddite...1, Take it to PC world and tell them I want it formatted.2, Try to format it myself, when I can get hold of a suitable boot disk.3, Find a way to resize the partitions. Help please!Mr. stupid

Try changing the boot sequence in your BIOS so that it boots from CD first.

PIG 'tralalalala'
    I did that, Tom, but it doesn't seem to work on upgrade versions.

If you have the 'upgrade' version then it HAS to see a valid copy of the OS already installed. i.e. the CD won't be bootable. You need to install a valid OS first (using the boot disc (I know) and then install XP on top.Large pile of brown steaming stuff!If you can't get a boot disc email me and I'll send you one with all the tools on it.

BTW you DO have a valid OS already to upgrade, don't you?

Dan - Chemical Chance
    Upgrade version? Uh oh, IIRC you need a previous verion of windows already installed before you can use the upgrade cd.Did you try partition magic?

Cullen Ward
    I REALLY dont want to go to PC world..."Ah, the sage words of one G. Glitter. Something to hide Mr P? ;-)"

download partition magic and use the Fat16 to NTFS converter, the problem is defnatly that its currently FAT16also the upgrade version is a bootable cd, you can run it from a even install it on a blank drive, 1/3rd into the install and it will prompt you to put in a previous version of windows cd, bish bosh bang, job doneDan

Dan - Chemical Chance
    Sorry AM, about five mins elapses between me clicking 'Submit' and it actually appearing