Thread: tyres

Hi, I'm currently sitting on a train enroute to London with my laptop, and was thinking it would be pretty cool to write a little web app which gathers tyre review data, for these endless tyre debates which happen at each change of the season.Current tyre reviews don't really offer an at a glance summary of which tyres are good at which conditions, and the forum debates tend to be repeats of the same themes over and over.I was thinking of allowing users to review each tyre in terms of several different surfaces. Once you have a decent sample of data you can then see a sort of average opinion of each tyre for a variety of different surfaces.Anyway. My initial ideas for surfaces to grade each tyre 1/5 on are:RoadFireroad/towpathHardpackSandMudRocksYou could also grade for value and say puncture resistance. Any surface type I've missed out, or anything else you'd like to rate tyres on? I thought about wet roots as well, although most tyres are not very good at gripping them ;-)I'll try and get something built and post a URL when it works.

Anne Brown
    Interesting Idea. I thought of wet roots too.

doesn't give much for roadie tyres, only in one catagory....Grading onRolling ResistancePuncture resistanceGrip (in dry and wet)Stopping distance (in dry and wet)Durabilityother infoWeightCostFoldable or notValve types availableSizes available

Ste (In a Considerably better mood today)
    yeah, nice idea Dylan.

Anne Brown
    Stopping distance? Depends a lot on weight of rider. So not so useful?

>Stopping distanceI didn't mean in meters, just a 1-5 rating, compared to other tyres used by the same rider

Melvin Walleater Schmelvin
    Isn't it all a bit subjective though? I mean, different people use different techniques to ride through / over stuff. So some people tend to find certain tyres better than others for say muddy climbs or lose corners.It's a good idea up to a point as long as people use it as a rough guide rather than gospel.

Ste (In a Considerably better mood today)
    why doesnt everyone just use fire xc pro's?i just don't understand!!!!

I'm still struggling to get past the sitting on a train to london with my laptop...posh gitgrumble grumble

Melvin Walleater Schmelvin
    Ha ha - yeah, the 1.8s are excellent winter tyres. Grippy with plenty of mud clearance.

Paul Sheppard
    It is all subjective, but lots of subjectives might lead to reasonable score... or just 2.5

I guess tyre reviews are subjective, but it would still be interesting to find out.Being able to see a summary of what each tyre does best would be cool, especially as you could do stuff like sort it by best mud tyre.I'll have a go at slinging some code together as I got the basic database design done. And no, Oxygen thief, I'm not a posh git. I just travel down to London and try to get some work done on the train, but end up wasting time on bikemagic instead. GNER is promising Wifi access on trains soon which will only make matters worse.

why doesnt everyone just use fire xc pro's?i just don't understand!!!!"Because some of us like good tyres ;-)Actually it sounds pretty good Dylan, although I can see this database getting pretty huge."