Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mathletics

the mum is 21 yrs older than the child. In 6 yrs from now the mum will be 5 times as old as the child. Question : Where is the child's father?

Ste (One Happy Bunny)
    on the couch with a beer, watching trisha

shagging the nextdoor neighbour

Erik the Viking
    Father is the next door neighbour.

Up the pub with his mistress, while the milkman is in bed with the mother. The child currently being conceived will die a tragically early death as a result of an obsession with milk floats.

Very good MK, very very good!

Can we have the answer please

Ste (One Happy Bunny)
    i gave you it!: )

Ste if you'd added smoking a cigarette" then more people might have got it!"

um, still don't get it. It is friday! please can someone explain without being patronising.

Its a Maths problem, hence the thread title.Let M = Mothers AgeLet C = Childs Agethe mum is 21 yrs older than the child"ThereforeM-C = 21"In 6 yrs from now the mum will be 5 times as old as the child"Therfore5(C+6) = M+6All you have to do now is solve these equations for M and C and you will have the answer."

Erik the Viking
    That helped!! Thanks. Walks away feeling even more stupid than he is... grrr

You calling me stupid?

Mad Badger
    Dad is probably asleep actually - usually what happens...

Erik the Viking
    Wouldn't dare!!

Well that depends on the precise timing. also in this day age of IVF there actually isn't a single definative solution to the problem.

Anne Brown
    Patrick, until we have some way of synthesizing sperm the father must be some where.

Right, I got the problem in the first place, but the question you are asking - where is the father, would appear to be completely unrelated to the information given, or if I were exceptionally clever, and found the ages of mother and child, would that throw light on the whereabouts of father? I HATE NOT UNDERSTANDING THINGS! but now I cannot stop thinking about it. Thats ruined my Friday.

Diane *is it home-time yet?*
    The problem cannot be solved - can it? If the child is 1, then the mother would have to be 22. Even by the age of 7, the mother's age is too low to be divided by 5 to provide the childs age.Although I could be wrong as it's Friday and my brain always spends Friday in its jar at home recuperating.: )

Anne the point is that if you discount IVF then the father can only be in one very specific place, with IVF there are an infinite number of places that the father can be.Chris you are right, finding the ages of the various people involved WILL throw light on the position" of the father!"