Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Race Numbers

.....is it reasonably acceptable to leave your race number on the bike.I've spent 10 years girding my loins to enter a race and now having done so, I'm reluctant to remove my race number from the handlebars

Obnoxious Bike Mollester
    Ah apparently it is the utter limit of un cool to leave your race number on after a race. I did it when I started out and got ridiculed more than you can ever imagine.....horrible memories.It is tempting though isn't it?

Charlie T....
    Hey look at me, I race!" Don't do it. Please."

The only way to display old race no.s is to stick them on your bike workshop/shed wall.

Kato (rides a pram? apparently)
    Shame on you Mr. Chappell

Charlie T....
    I have all of mine running up the stairs at the back of the garage block

I know that it's uncool, but, a bit like joining in with the Carpenters on the radio, some things just have to be done. It's a quality number too, and I'm concerned that they may ask for it back.

Ste (One Afro Bunny)
    one of the guys over here keeps his number on his bike.he also happens to be a complete and utter w@nker.... you don't want to be like him now, do you?what makes it worse, is it's not a 'propper' number, with all the sposors and stuff... it's just a bit of laminated card. tosser!

Ste (One Afro Bunny)
    saying that, i leave my number on when i'm not riding my bike.... if it's just sitting in my shed, or in the back of my car.but NEVER when i'm riding it!!

Al ..(Stonor, Feck me, he's only gone and climbed it)
    Julian. Leave it. Let's face it with that bloody 'orrid dayglo bike you had, your frankly worrying fetish for all things Ron Hill and a riding style somewhere between comedy and hospital, it's not like you're going to be losing any street cred is it -The builders having returned from a month's tea break are finishing the barn. I have my race numbers ready to adorn the wall above the 'fettling bench'. Below the fettling bench is the 'lager fridge'. It's fair to say I'll be spending some time in there.

This is a bona fide on-off example.I think I'll leave it attached just whilst the bike is on the stand or on the rack.I did note a degree of interference with the air dynamics yesterday.What with the wind gusting at 50 mph and the horizontal rain.....

Ste (One Afro Bunny)
    Al. please tell me you're not serious about hangin your race numbers up.....the only reason i 'keep' mine, is cos i'm too damn lazy to clean up the floor of my garage/car.something i do, however, is swear to NEVER clean my number throughout the whole season : )

Al, your ability to live in, and bring up the past at every available opportunity, evokes images of an almost wifely quality.I'll have you know that I rode in labelled baggies, labelled water-proof socks, a brand new premiership labelled helmet and a jacket that has actually been reviewed in a much-revered mtb magazine.In respect of my unique riding style, I was much moistened and pleasured rigid when a marshall commented to me that I was the fastest thing through here today" on the descent mentioned by no less a tome than MBR this month.It's amazing how quickly one can descend when one has failed to locate the brake lever."

SloBoy - Andy by name, Shandy by nature
    I used to leave my number on while I was washing the bike - at least then the neighbours know what a hard racer b@stard I am.

Ste (One Afro Bunny)
    HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA...........*snigge r*HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

<inna Chris Tarrent stylee> is the correct answer, Sloboy.

I was out on the race course yesterday - the West Drayton do at Ash (you have to give the numbers back there and the bike wasn't dirty anyway ...)Anyhow - hadn't done one of their races before (Gorricks for me usually) but I suspected that the smaller fields were of generally higher average quality than for Gorrick.Got to the start line - 16 Vets to start. The announcer comes on the tannoy and tells us that we have 2 previous National Vetc champs and a National Vets Cyclocross champ running (none of whom won, as it turned).SloBoy shuffled to the back of the start area. I thought I did well to come last (but one) really.

But the course had some really, really splendid single track - quite possibly the best I've ridden. Having had a bit of an incident a couple of weeks back, I'm still lacking a bit of confidence on loose, steep descents - but the 3 loose, steep descents per lap may have helped with that a bit.

Al ..(Stonor, Feck me, he's only gone and climbed it)
    Ste. The only thing that will be hanging up in my barn will be something from Pirelli normally found in all good remould tyre outfits....Julian... Really? Bloody Hell. Did you win then?

Paul Sheppard
    I haven taken my plate off for a couple of months now......but then it's the clubs ID and i have to have it when i go on the course