Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    James Roberts
    I ordered some Tioga inner tubes last week and they arrived pretty damn quickly, and i fitted one the next day. The day after this however i heard a loud *pop*. When going to inspect i found that the tube had burst completely, due to what i presume was a manufacturing fault. (sensible PSI, nothing sharp in the tyre/rim).Emailing Chain reaction, they replied very quickly indeed and are dispatching a new tube no questions asked.Its nice to see that they still value their customers. I wonder if i would get this treatment at Halfords?

Obnoxious Bike Mollester
    Yes actually you would. Especially with the standard Halfords tubes, they would pop all the time, and in my time working for them I handed out many a free replacement. Why does everyone give Halfords such a hard time? For some reason people expect local bike shop service from a supermarket style environment. Give the poor fellas a break and start only expecting the same service as anywhere else.

Steevo S (Padowan MTBer, still with much to learn)
    OBM: I think the problem is that many Halfords stores are frequented on Saturdays, when they're staffed by ignorant teenage herberts who don't know a stem from a bottom bracket. Also, LBS's can taylor their customer service to individual customers / groups, whereas Halfords, with their supermarket style environment" is tied by corporate restrictions."

James Roberts
    Sorry to stir such a reaction OBM. Just thought it needed an ending, and thought a decent rant might do. Really though, Haflrods are pretty poor. I was at one around notts and heard a conversation between salesman and client.Client: Hmmm... i only really need it to get to work on. On the roads. I dont think i need suspensionSalesman: Ohhhh sir, id deffinately get a full suspension bike. Here this Appollo is nice. But full suspension - you cant live without it.... etc etc

Pat Mustard
    Does that salesman also write for MBR?;oP

No i don't disagree with you at all James, Halfords is pretty damn poor thats one of the reasons I got out of there, but I feel smetimes far too much is expected of it as well.Argh, don't say the word Apollo around me, sends shivers down my spine!

Oh pooh, I forgot to switch back then!

Ste (One ill Bunny)
    LOL @ OBM giving away his 'true' identity

Charlie T....
    You mean you didn't know, Ste?

Ste (One ill Bunny)
    Noooooo : )

Paul "not riding at all" Cooper
    I saw/heard a Halfwits saturday staff guy pump up a customers inner tube (when the customer was there) and blow the tube to pieces due to the excess pressure he put in - then tried to blame it on the customers sub standard inner tube.The customer didn't seem to know any better and I nearly intervened before realising that I couldnt be bothered to help someone who needed halfords staff to change his tyre for him.

James Roberts
    credit where its due however. Some of the carreras look like they could actually be decent bikes.There is one with an epic like rear triangle that looks pretty good.

Melvin Schmelvin
    Any company is only as good as it's staff. Soooo....when I worked at Halfords many moons ago it was a brilliant company! Seriously though, I never went along with the he'll grow into it" philosophy that Halfords were supposedly into. It was the customers who came up with all that cr@p.That said, the local Halfords poured cuastic soda down a mates seat tube in order to try and free the seat post and as it worked its way through the frame it managed to trash nearly every alu component on the bike, including the handelbars and forks?! They did replace everything after an argument..."

Anne Brown
    When you pay peanuts...how true an advertising campaign.

Melvin Schmelvin
    *caustic* even...I thonk.

Melvin Schmelvin
    Lol at Anne. You'd think a company with Halfords reputation would have thought about their advertising strategy a bit more. Maybe they should have had Chas and Dave's Any Old Iron" in the background..."

Yeah but its not just Halfords where you can experience bad service (I used to work in one full of enthuiasts). I just bought a new road bike from Ribble cycles and when phoning up to inquire about availabilty, the guy could just not be bothered if I could get an equivalent specced machine elsewhere I would not have spent the money with them, luckily I know about sizing and specs etc... but a newcomer would have had a nightmare with his attitude. When the bike arrived the gears were to pot, the brakes rubbed on the rims, a cable was split and the rear wheel had 1cm side to side play, these are the experts!!! never again, I'd rather use HALFORDS.

cooky! *shirt ninja*
    " I was at one around notts and heard a conversation between salesman and client.Client: Hmmm... i only really need it to get to work on. On the roads. I dont think i need suspensionSalesman: Ohhhh sir, id deffinately get a full suspension bike. Here this Appollo is nice. But full suspension - you cant live without it.... etc etc"wheras in MY Halfords you'd be asked what sort of riding you did, and you'd NEVER be pointed in the direction of an apollo full susser, the staff (well the ones that know anything, the fulltime staff plus a saturday lad) try to steer people AWAY from those awful full sus deadweights, mainly 'cos we have to assemble them... my shop's fave bike is the Raleigh Rave, currently 125, 18 speed rigid bike, anyone who has about this much cash gets moved away from the 'lovely' apollo excel and into the direction of the rave, it's a good solid little bike, and handles lovely too, much MUCH better than the tanks that are the cheap full sussers.and i use the word 'assemble' in the loosest possible sense, the people who design these things should be f**king shot, horrendous amounts of aluminium and such poor components, the creed is doing a particularly good job of wrecking reverse rise rear mechs specced as standard on them, mainly 'cos it hangs so damn far away from the cassette.we also try to avoid the customers who wish us to replace innertubes and suchlike, if you can't do basic maintainence then you shouldn't have a bike... and speaking of maintainence, if it were up to me we wouldn't even take back 99% of the repairs we do... it says quite clearly on the pdi form that we reserve the right to refuse a service on a bike that hasn't been routinely maintained, yet then they go moan at the manager who in turn moans at us and we have to do it anyway.and yes, they DO employ monkeys, and do pay peanuts... however, the 2 guys i work with, and the ones i know from the other store all know their stuff when it comes to bikes, sure we're not gonna know everything ever, but we certainly know more than the collective that is the 'end user'. so yeah, i'm sure in a whole bunch of places there are sub-standard staff, but in the 2 stores i know in leeds they all work hard and offer some good advice, but then anything i say isn't gonna change anyone's mind... go into a store and have a word with the fulltime staff, ask questions, just chat and you'll soon know whether they know their stuff or are just pretending.i could sit and moan forever about the sh1t i have to put up with working in the place but i have a projector waiting for me to hook it up and some films to watch.

cooky! *shirt ninja*
    When the bike arrived the gears were to pot, the brakes rubbed on the rims, a cable was split and the rear wheel had 1cm side to side play, these are the experts!!! never again, I'd rather use HALFORDS."see that's just shoddy... if there's anything wrong with our bikes when assembling them it gets sorted out at cost to us, it'd be stupid not to expect this. i know my colleagues are more than willing to help, if you approach us with a smile and not an attitude then we'll gladly help you out, it's just that it only takes ONE person to moan about nothing then it puts us off helping others... personally i don't get paid enough to make excuses for other people so i try and sort out problems as soon as possible, i know what it's like to be bikeless or missing a certain part.but yes, i'm really gonna leave now."

Melvin Schmelvin
    aaaarrrrgghhhhh - the days of assembling Apollos. I remember them well. Spending an hour trying to get a seatpost into an Apollo commuter with a file and mallet..... Yep, Raleighs were always put together much better. Just slap in the pedals and stem and check the bolts. Even the brakes were fairly well adjusted. The Raleigh Lizard was the bike of choice back then.