Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good to hear that the Catholic church along with other religious institutions has a progressive attitude to homosexual relationships and the large gay population spread across the world.By being openly hostile to state recognision of gay relationships in any way shape or form. They show their true colours, narrowminded, bigoted men in dresses. Good to know that an institution that has such a strong historical track record when it comes to kiddy fiddling and torture, has the courage to come out and state clearly what is acceptable behaviour, and what is not.It's religions assumption that it has a monopoly on truth that I find so offensive. It's hypocritical, backward looking and still seems to have some kind of moral authority in todays world.I move that we ban religion, and base society on rational discussion, not a 2000 yr old book that has been badly translated and seems to think the world was made in 7 days, and makes no mention of a T-Rex on the Ark with Noah.Lets have a friday debate......lets put Christianity where it really belongs, in the Waterstones section marked 'Fantasy' or even 'Mumbo Jumbo'.

John (no mud to get stuck in)
    it's a pretty good novel, though, the bible, innit?

Well actually no I don't think it is. Its too long, seems to come in two unrelated parts, and stretches the readers imagination to the limits and beyond.The narrative is disjointed, language stilted and characters over simplistic. Frankly the author should be crucified for writing such a terrible book.

Obnoxious Bike Mollester
    Ah but as I have said before on this site, one has to look at the reasons for religion and the effects it has on society, before one can start proposing a life without it.I for one believe religion and faith is a very important society forming tool that will be sorely missed when it is removed.

John (no mud to get stuck in)
    Its too long, seems to come in two unrelated parts, and stretches the readers imagination to the limits and beyond.The narrative is disjointed, language stilted and characters over simplistic"A bit like Lord Of The Rings then? ;-)"

Ok then what are the reasons for religion and what are it's effects on society?I'm sure it was a good society forming tool, but what purpose deos it serve in the 21st century.

Ste (trying to be one happy bunny)
    i am still yet to find the part in the bible which contradicts 'the bible'everything in there contradicts it's self at some point, so there must be a part which actually sais this is a load of arse, please disregard"perhaps someone left that bit out?no offence intended, after all we are all intitled to our own beliefs, aren't we?isn't religion great!"

Obnoxious Bike Mollester
    I believe that religion is primarily a tool for controlling the populus. Again repeating what I have previously said on other threads, a petty juvenile thief is far more likely not to re-offend if he believed his actions would send him to hell for eternity than if he thought he was going to get a slap on the wrist and a bit of community spirit. It also shuns promiscuity and therefore reduces casual sex and the subsequent transfer of sexual diseases.If you look at all the areas where society is failing today - examples being crime, violence, lack of respect for your fellow man, rise in STD's - a lot of these areas are covered in great depth by the bible.I ask the question is it purely coincidence that the falling church numbers run almost in parallel with the seeming collapse in social behaviour.For your information I am an athiest.

Well yes we are all intitled to our own beliefs, but not if they infringe on others.Now religion has a long history of infringing other peoples rights. Burning, killing, tortureing, invading, pillageing and morally damning.

Steevo S (Padowan MTBer, still with much to learn)
    Does that mean we ban Islam, Judaeism, Buddism, Shintoism, Taoism, paganism.....?That's cool by me JoL. But do you mind if we let you tell the nation? Cheers.*Takes several steps back and looks on nervously in anticipation of a lynching*Seriously though, surely anything a person or group of people believe in and use as the linchpin of their lifestyle, against which their lifestyle choices are made, an be seen as religion". Shall we ban all of those too?"

Dan (Surname)
    i am still yet to find the part in the bible which contradicts 'the bible'everything in there contradicts it's self at some point, so there must be a part which actually sais "this is a load of arse, please disregard"perhaps someone left that bit out?"theres a bit in there that says "thou popular thread of the year 2003 is complete bollocks, please delete before 20,000 which will split the universe, thou owners are now number 2 becuase of popular thread"wonder what it meansDan"

I guess all I want is the removal of organized religion that dictates ethical codes of conduct that condone coercion.In this respect is suspect Buddism is exempt as it is a non-coercive ideology. i.e it does not say if you don't believe, you will burn in hell" or equivalent. In fact all it seems to say is salvation is within you, but don't worry if you don't get it in this lifetime, cos there is always the next.It condems all violence "unlike Christianity and Judaeism" and as for Taoism and all the rest, well I don't know. My rant was initially against the Catholic Church who protect there own if they f~ck children, but publically condemn homosexual relationships as immoral, even if they are loving and stable etc etc."

Steevo S (Padowan MTBer, still with much to learn)
    So we could just ban Catholocism, then?

In western culture the church has always been a device to make a certain few rich and powerful. Well, until this century that is - now it's not even very good at doing that. So you could say it's completely f*cking useless - and you'd be right.

Anne Brown
    Religious Beliefs are great. It is the arrrses who organise and control Religion that should be lynched.

Indeed - and why does religion have to be ordered and organised? Doesn't seem spiritual just all very formal to me - more like a big gang.

SloBoy - Powered by Pete's Premium Pies
    That's the bit I don't quite understand Rob, faith you would think, was personalUnless it all started with like minded individuals starting to hang around together, typically on weekend mornings, and then they suddenly realised they had a sort of group thing going so decided they needed a uniform, a mantra, a website and an El Presdiente. Hence the C1XV was born !

the missing page of the bible This is a work of fiction and any charcters within are entirely fictional and any resemblance to real people and/or events is pure coincidence.

Fat Bear... will work for food.
    the bible was just a moral guideline that was there before police were invented. You shouldn't need fear of God to do the right thing.Personally I used to be an atheist until I realised I AM GOD!

Ste (trying to be one happy bunny)
    my imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend!