Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What MTB

Kevin Hodgson
    Despite BMs and WMTBs current interbreeding, I've have to sing the praises of the last edition.-blowing the 'system' wheels bollocks wide open. (yes sir I'll have those really expensive, not very strong, not very stiff, not very light wheels please!) Another mag I can name would have defended the shimano wheels by saying they looked way cool"!-blowing advertising hype wide open. Thanks for that one - even though I sometimes things that I'll have to be able to ride like Scoop before I can understand what the balls "flickability" is!!-testing steel frames, and from UK builders and proving that they're not 10 years out of date (and cheaper than some transatlantic non-customs)-testing the Rohloff and shimano gear hubs, and showing the UK MTB world at least that they exist (but 7 or 14 gears is not enough - 27 or 1 speed are the only sensible options).But why couldn't you test a road bikers road bike, and a cyclo crossers cross bike? Small point, but I don't see many Kleins, GTs, Konas or Santa Cruzs when the local roadie club is at Hope cafe.In order to fulfil my conversion from IPC to Future - last night I ceremonially threw out all my back issues of MBR!!! Now I am truly free."

steve makin
    afraid that I can't let go of MBR just yet, its out today and the doc says that I should take each day at a time and not to give up just cause I've had a bad dayTrouble is its at least 3 weeks till the new issue of Singletrack, have to make do with back issues of the outcast till then !!!

John Lemonius
    Kevin - you just know now that you're going to desperately need that article on fixing the bit that's about to fall off!Actually, I was flicking through back issues of MBR the other day & noticed an awful lot of re-cyling, particularly on the Fit2Ride & maintenance bits.

steve makin
    I think all of them recycle, same bikes for testing, this month its the maverick, same photos all the time , this months WMB has that pic of Ian Osborne somewhere in the alps on his bullit, how many times have you seen that ?Trouble is you can't ride 247 so you need to read about, or talk about it, does anyone have a 12 step program ?, has anyone seen a copy of MBA of late ?, what ever happened to captain dondo ?, arghhn stop it STOP IT NOW, hope smiths have got the new issue of MBR in tonight

John Lemonius
    Steve - save your money, you can have mine.I just spent about 10 mins flicking through my copy & it just seemed that it's all stuff you've seen, read or heard before. Maybe it's because we're getting more up to the minute info/opinions from BM or whatever or maybe it's because it really is the same old stuff & I just want something different.Looking forward to next copy of Singletrack.

Kevin Hodgson
    I KNOW how to fix my bike, so what'll I need MBR fix-it" for?The only bit I salvaged were the ride guide pullouts. But only cos they save me from needing to carry a proper map. 99% of the routes I knew already."

Kevin Hodgson
    Come on then:System wheels - discuss!

jon wyatt
    Ok....System Wheels...... errm, what are they then Kevin?

Andy Edwards
    Expensive and make you look like a tosser (oh sorry racer)

jon wyatt
    Well I already look like a tosser.Are they made by shimano then?Maybe I should just go out and buy the mag.

Still can't beat a decent set of handbuilts with db spokes on decent rims and hubs, that can be trued and repaired by my own fair pimping hands.But that's just my little opinion though.

Stuart Nicolson
    System wheels - things like Mavic Crossmax, Crossride, Cane Creek etc.But a _good_ handbuilt component" wheel will be, almost without exception;cheaper to buycheaper to maintaineasier to get parts foras strong, if not stronger than a system wheel of the same weightDisadvantages of "component" wheels;less "pimpy"shiny new innovations will take longer to appear on separate rims (e.g. UST, disc-specfic)er...that's it I think."

Lightweight wheels for the rich and lazy. (Or tarty). You're far better off getting a good set of handbuilt wheels, so you can specify how strong/light they are. You'll also be able to repair them, as well as paying less initially.

Who does the best handbuilt wheels then? in WMB one sounded like a fish & chip shop and the other one was wheelpro. Are these alot better than buying via someone like ChainReaction?

Kevin Hodgson
    Fish and chip shops do generally also do an exceptionally good sideline in wheel building.I almost always use road bike shops. Nearly all have on-site wheelbuilders. MTB shops sometimes have a spotty 12 year old who claims to be the best wheelbuilder in town then tries to sell you a radial spoked disc wheel. Other shops mysterious have to send your hub OFF" somewhere to get them built (probably to the road bike shop round the corner). In my experience, the only thing road bike shops can do wrong is over tension the spokes for a single-eyeletted rim like the X517, or perhaps try and convince you that you need 40 specially thick spokes and a 32mm wide rim. But that's unusual.But if I'm buying a whole wheel rather than a new-rim, modification etc, I use dave hinde (I had one from wheelpro also, but he doesn't seem to be doing any anymore)."

Kevin Hodgson
    I'd still have some Crossmaxes however - if anyone's giving a set away.But Crossmaxes are only so damn good cos they won't sell you the rim seperately. If they did you could build them yourself lighter and cheaper with someone else's hubs.

I thought the crossmax rim was just a tarted up, ceramic 517? If not, what is the difference between the two? (I'm guessing it'll be double eyelets or something)

Kevin Hodgson
    Very thin sidewalls - fairly wide and double eyelets.Also the low spoke counts that you need to save weight.The crossmax rim really is much better than anything that they sell seperately.

Yes I'm a bit dense! but to save me trying to find a copy of the mag, please explain what System wheels are.For instance I bought a new rear from my LBS and had a Hope sport hub and Mavic 618 rims the hub was 36 spoke cos they told me it was stronger, I wanted it quick and I don't race, so the exttra weight wasn't an issue.My original WTB front wheel is now coming close giving up on wall thickness, so I'm looking at buying a similar for the front. Disc compatible so I can add the disc later.What do you think?

Tom Webster
    Are really thin sidewalls a desirable quality for rims.. especially if you live in Yorkshire.Anyway what about DT hubs laced onto light 28 hole rims with light sapim or DT spokes. Probably still way cheaper than crossmax and at least comparable on weight.Lets cut the crap anyway, the only people that the weight benifit is really needed get the wheels free/cheap and know their V02max etc etc etc.