Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    martin smith
    not about the war this one, i am thinking about buying a silly little sports car, well an MGB and i am wondering if anybody has experience of trying to carry bikes on or in one.my girlfriend used to have one and says that her dad could get both her brothers bikes in the back when they used to race, but her i am not sure if i should believe her

Anne Brown
    You could get a towbar mounted rack for it.

his hollyness serge the second
    buy a V8 soft top landy. that will get the bikes in, drive themn to the top of the course and it looks great.if any kevs come up in there little SRIs just drive over them.

Get a hot hatch instead - my 306 Rallye takes two bikes on the back, all the camping and biking kit in the boot and still goes 'quite fast'. (well fast enough to avoid some sluggish Landy for a start)

jason smith
    get the mgb and 'borrow' the gf's car for taking the bikes about...thus speaks the single man...i'll get my coat.

By a MACK truck, they're fcuking awesome. Excuse the french!

Or a Hummer!

paul turner
    ahhhh. there is a landy out there that can take a golf gti to 60!!!!! scary thought. even more scary is rhe lamboguini version of the hum-vee. faster than a porshe and you can carry all the bikes as well. nice. the only thing on the road it cant pass is the petrol station.

Rab Type Arrrgh
    Buy a CIVIC TYPE-R....only problem is, you will have so much fun , you wont have time to use your bike

Anne Brown
    fcuk cars ride your bike!;-p

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
    get the MGB..... wonderful cars.there's a reasonable amount of room behind the seats. if the hood has a zip out rear window, then you can stick thebikes bahind the seats and have the bits poking out the rear screenyou can get boot racks for them too.i'd imagine you could take a wheel or two off and put them in the boot, then stick the frame(s) behind the seat.the change from 2nd to 3rd is beautiful

Mate of mine bought a mini-van - it was sooo worth it. He goes riding everywhere now and invites a good 4 or 5 people on every ride.

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
    MGB's aren't silly little sports cars either, they are a work of art, REAL cars.

MGBs are more or less re-bodied Marina's, although the V8 version was very quick for a Marina!.Consider a Triumph Spitfire instead. Less 'theoretical pedigree' but altogether much classier drive. MkIII 1.3 with twin carbs go pretty well for a small car too, or get a GT6 if you need more speed.

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
    Triumph made good motorbikes... nothing else.think you'll find the MGB was before the Marina. they came from before the merger with Leyland, when they were still MG.Spitfire's are fragile little things that hairdressers drive.

Dan (www.thehorsesmouth.tk) Grey
    Sister has a an MGB - lovely. They've got ickle little baby now so they never use it anymore, and are going to sell it I LOVE AC Cobras, and if I could choose any 'stupid' car in the world, it would be one of those. Don't fancy driving one to Tescos on a cold went winters' night though. Healeys are nice too.

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
    the racing Healeys were prepared by MG, who also made the Healey Sprite. MG had the biggest sports car production line in the world at one point.MGB's are hard work in town though.

Thing about old cars is they make a lot of pollution - twenty+ times compared to a 'modern' car. I'm not happy driving anything without fuel injection & catalytic convertor

Arnold (UB40) Laurence
    thing about old cars is they are still going... modern cars may be cleaner, but by constantly making new ones is adding to the pollution... it's a tricky one. by making a new car you are using up new resources and having to power an assembly line and factory.old cars were built to last longer. new ones are disposable

Very true.However my car is now ten years old, but still barely registers on the pollution meters at MoT time (Volvo 440 1.6l - the smallest engined variant - with full electronic fuel injection, 3-way cat with O2 sensor etc) and I don't intend to replace for it for as many years as I can get out of it.