Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmmm... that's not so good. Maybe it's to take advantage of the ice's amazing slippy characteristics, to lube the cable?Or maybe it was designed for a slightly drier climate...

Mr. Ste (*Moooo*)
    erm, WTF is that?

Anne Brown
    frozen mud on the bottom of a bike

Anne Brown
    I'm just guessing

Mr. Ste (*Moooo*)
    ive never seen such a thing.....brrr, i feel all cold now

Get a singlespeed, and then you won't have these problems.

Mr. Ste (*Moooo*)
    What possible bloody benefit does this kind of cable routing have"simple answer.... nonethought never really crossed my mind, but you're right. cant think of why you'd put a crucial part of the mechanics in the mud"

Not frozen mud - water ice. The deeper running water is still moving (just) but when it splashes up on the bike it instantly freezes into a mask.I also had one of those 'magic moments' after I rode through a stream then straight into a climb - started down the subsequent downhill section, whacked on the brakes....oops, nothing, front disk and rear rim sheets of ice. Yikes!

SloBoy or OldBoy - You decide
    Hmmm - maybe you should get out less !So what's next ? Heated disks ?

Gore-tex cables, I think, that's the only solution I can see. I used to swear by them, although I was mainly swearing AT them the last two sets I used (sheath pulling through into the shifters).

Cover the offending bits in clingfilm.(may not help but should look stupid)

So did you stick it in the big ring just for the picture???That does look a bit mad...what about spraying the bottom bracket area with some GT-85 before heading out? It may help stop the water from 'bonding' and icing the frame...Another idea may be to try a Scotoiler filled with Anti-freeze and drip it down the cable from the head tube...then it exits the system and still stops the freezing...
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...

No, Latrigg descent back into Keswick (no walkers!); front shifting was OK, dragging the chain up onto the big ring, it was getting the small rings at the back that was the problem.A pity, because other than that the bike's great (I particularly like Brant's On-One forks, very forgiving without being harsh). I'm actually going to have to put on bigger chain rings than the standard 22-32-44 setup: the bike's so damn fast I'm spinning out on the flat.It's unusally cold, of course - it's not often you can ride in a Buffalo top without sweating, but I managed it today.

Charlie T
    Non stick cooking spray works a treat, giving your frame a silky Teflon coating.

Mr. Ste (*Moooo*)
    tried the wd40 trick once... it works like a trat, but i feel it can get a little expensive

Charlie T
    The cooking spary is cheaper. Or is it the thought of cooking that frightens you Mr Ste? (Mmmmm, horseradish!)

Forgiving without being 'flexy', of course.

Mr. Ste (*Moooo*)
    mmmmm steak!

Mr. Ste (*Moooo*)
    mmm v nice bike!i'll have to get some snaps of the tandem, i feel