Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Morning All,Just a quick question relating to London congestion charges.How will it affect you (as a cyclist) and what do you think should be done to help cyclists on their way to work. There should be an increase in cyclists around London and I was just wondering what would make your journeys more enjoyable. Should there be any serivces available? Better / more suitable (safe) places to park your bike (excuse the pun)...I'm asking this as I am writing a report for London Transport.Cheers for your thoughts and ideas,Jules

I have a bike lockup at work so can't coment on that aspect.But, after cycling around western france i found that in big towns they segmented the traffic away from cycle lanes and gave priority to cycles crossing left turns.My biggest danger is around Olympia where there is a segmented cycle track and then an immediate left turn for traffic which gets nasty!i best get on with work now really as i cound rant on in a sustrans way.but improved routes in to london would be a good start.

R o m e o
    i think some proper cycle lanes at the side of the road would be a start - solid white lines rather than the dotted advisory lanes. They also need to come in over the main routes into the congestion charging zone from the suburbs - clapham,batersea, brixton etc and beyond.for example the route over waterloo bridge - it has an advisory cycle lane but coming home in the evening it is used as a car park for people going in to the west end? thats not right surely? Make it double yellow with a legal enforcable bike lane and it would be better.Also more cycle storage is needed - sheffield bike stands with CAMERAS on them to catch people nicking.I think stuff like showers and indoor bikeparks are a bit of a diversion - primarily it should be about getting people on clunkers from A2B in normal everyday clothing. Like Amsterdam or Munich.

I find it all very odd that the gov't pays for road upkeep. The rail industry (is meant to) pay for railways - they certainly paid to build them. Why shouldn't car manufacturors be made to pay for the building/upkeep of roads - without roads they couldn't sell their cars.

Malcolm Cogglewit
    Just refuse to pay. If everybody driving into London refused to pay what could Ken do ?

I actually think that yes inside the CC zone the risk from cars might be reduced, but the risk from several ton busses will be increased (higher speed and a knack for cutting people up).The real danger for cyclists would obviously be at the CC boundaries where the traffic levels would be increased. As Romeo said some sort of lane-giving priory to cyclists (& buses?) into the zone would make life safer.Oh and Ken should do something with the massive potholes at the side of the road that are a safety risk for cyclists due to pulling out far into the main traffic flow or coming a cropper.Well that’s my two pennies worth.

I agree with Romeo, they need to start building proper segregated cycle lanes to protect cyclists from drivers, a painted green strip by the side of a busy road may satisfy political targets but doesn't protect the cyclist, and often makes getting back into the traffic even more dangerous. A great example of how it should be done is the excellent cycle lane in Royal college Street in Camden, NW London. I spoke to the guy at Dirt & Dreams bike shop in Notting Hill last week, they went bust recently, had not received any promotional help with regards to the congestion charging - the guy said that he got a report from the GLA and Transport for London, cycling was only mentioned once in the last paragraph - it just talks about getting people out of cars and onto buses and trains and tube. Anyone that uses public transport knows the systems are collapsing even now before the congestion charge starts?How are all these people going to fit onto the existing trains/ buses, etc.? The reason I started cycling in London is that the public transport doesn't bl**dy work!They have to get rid of cars in London, 1000's are being killed by air pollution and accidents, but once again they have ignored cycling...

Malcolm Cogglewit
    Maybe traffic wardens could be armed to deter traffic abuse.

another thing worth mentioning is that although congestion charging is a direct disincentive to drive in london, the amount of new traffic lights being built is frightening. on my cycling commute down the old kent road from greenwich to central london, there have been at least 7-8 new sets installed in the last year or so. Roundabouts are no longer roundabouts, just masses of lights slowing things down even further.i dont drive, but it drives me mad that the old kent road, a main road out of london, now doesnt have more than 100m between lights. madness, and it bloody tires your legs out stopping and accelerating back up to traffic speed. oh well

A good idea to satisfy my vindictive streak would be to give power to cyclists to issue tickets on illegaly parked cars. I think I've always wanted to be a part time traffic warden. I'd be just like the guy from Trigger Happy TV, ticket anyone who stops longer than a second, oh they do that already!

Charlie T
    Don't get me started........Grrrrrr!

R o m e o
    theres gonna be a whole lot more mopeds in london now (which i think is better than more cars)it will be interesting to see how the moped retailers take out huge adverts telling people that mopeds are exempt and bike shops generally miss out on a golden opportunity for more sales

R o m e o
    theres gonna be a whole lot more mopeds in london now (which i think is better than more cars)it will be interesting to see how the moped retailers take out huge adverts telling people that mopeds are exempt while bike shops generally miss out on a golden opportunity for more sales

at first I was pretty horrified at the idea, but as its during the day and weekends are free its not the end of the world.But like someone said already, its going to cause a mess at the boundaries. Vauxhall junction is a nightmare at the best of times and I think its going to be right on the border... the nightamre's going to get much worse.At the end of the day, people who have to travel in in vehicles (and there are loads who come into this category- say you've got a few 1000 quids worth of camera and laptop, or any kind of bulky equipment) are going to be heavily penalised, and there still isn't an alternative... tube trains are literally bursting during rush hour, and as someone who's used London buses for over 15 years I'd hardly recommend them as a viable mode of transport

Paul Sheppard
    I cycle from Paddington to Farrindon every day, taking a route down Oxford Street. Apart from all the damned traffic lights, i can't really complain, compared tho buses and taxis, there's hardly any cars on my route as it is.I would be nice to have definate cycle lanes as suggested, those .5m wide green strips in the gutters don't realy help much.

Anne Brown
    Cars converted to run on gas are exempt (from what I've heard). So if you are one of the ones heavily penalised it's worth it as it will pay itself back in a year.

Thats great guy's,but do you think that cycling shops have a role,in promoting cycling to London. Is there anything they can do to help the safety of cyclists? (appart from selling lids / gloves / reflective kit?)

Given the number of dead or injured cyclists I've seen in London over the years (last one at Aldgate roundabout, flattened by a lorry), I think anyone promoting cycling in London needs their heads looking at... until a proper safe network of lanes has been established

I gave up cycling in London after a black cab drew level then turned left forcing me off the road. Its way too dangerous

Anne Brown
    chicken and egg mutie.They wont establish a proper safe network of lanes with no-one using them.