Mike Davies
    I have a Marin Alpine Trail fitted with a Shockworks rear shock. I am thinking of replacing it. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement ?Merlin Cycles have some good prices for Fox Vanilla and Float. Would these fit ?

Dave FSR
    Float would be a good choice. It could be made to fit with the right spacers (sometimes called bushings, which are actually the little sleeve bearings that go between the spacers and the shock eye) If Merlin don't supply them with the spacers to fit, BETD can machine them up for you.

Dave FSR
    Oh, and measure the eye-to-eye length and stroke (the amount of travel at the shock shaft) of your current shock and make sure you get one that's the same (or very close)

The Fox bushes that your Marin dealer stocks would be the easiest solution.

Dr Dolittle - Broken bike, broken finger, broken heart.....
    And sadly also the most disposable. The Float is a very good match for the Marin frame, but sadly Foxes bushings suck to a degree you can't comprehend. Typical bushing life is around 6-9 months in regular use. Now replacements are easy and cheap to get, but its still a right pain......

Marin have a bush replacement which is actually a real bearing available very soon. As it's a bearing it should have a reasonable warranty on it.

Anthony Lister
    I upgraded a Shockworks unit with a Fox Float R on my 1998 Marin EastPeak a month or so ago. Now my bike rides like a full-suss again! Oh and I got my bushings straight from www.mojo.co.uk - top service.

Paul Truckel
    What year is your Alpine Trail? I went through the same process on my '99 Attack Trail. The eye to eye length is 185mm which means neither a Fox Float or RS Sid are options as they don't come in the right length. Apparantly a Fox Vanilla will fit or you could do what I did and get a Risse Astro 5 custom made for your bike. Highly recommendended.If it's a later model I think they all came with 165mm shock length so you can ignore the above and get what you want.

Mike Davies
    I think the frame is either '97 or '98, I bought it secondhand (it has a steel rear arm). The existing shock measures 165mm eye-to-eye. Unfortunately Merlin have sold out of that length, only 195mm left.Any other suggestions welcome. I will check out the Risse.

andy monty
    CVI ltd 01405 760030 (UK) or e: Service@cvi.co.ukThe chap Does Shock works, Risse, Fox, Noleen, I know he makes some to order.He lives just across the road from me so say monty's recomended you (may stand me in good stead for any odds and sods i mights want

Actually dock, thats the flex inherent in marins. my 2000 attack trail was the same. every 6 months -new bushes.Then I bought a sub 5 and transferred the shock. 18 months months before I had to replace them on that bike.