Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good news

Romeo Framboli
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/1611044as someone who isnt addicted to petrol i appreciate this.

I think its a good idea. Especially the traffic calming measures as without them, those that speed now will still continue to drive dangerously.

about time, too many people (especially kids) are killed in UK by motorists going 20 mph too fast....

Ohhh traffic calming, hooray. Do the plans include government subsidies for motorists, so that I can pay for the extra wear & tear my car will suffer? And when are they going to increase the speed limits where appropriate?

Andre' 120
    doh! been caught twice in 2 weeks on the A1 at Sandy.

Romeo Framboli
    i think the motorists are already subsidised!

I'm not sure about the traffic calming measures. They are a good idea in principle, but all that happens in reality is that cars accellerate hard and brake hard causeing more localised polution than would otherwise be the case and since traffic calming is normally located on residential streets the impact on health is that much greater. There is also an impact on the way Ambulances have to balance the needs of giving a casualty as smooth a journey as possible to hospital whilst making sure that it takes the minimum amount of time.The reduction in speed limits will only make a difference if they are enforced, which probably means more speed cameras and we all know how popular they are with the motoring public.

Adam, it won't create that much more wear and tear and may save lives. It may also prevent people using their cars around town when they don't really need to. If its easier to walk or bike then that can only be a good thing.

Adam, traffic calming measure do not add to the wear and tear of your car provided that you are travvelling at an appropriate speed which, spookily enough, is normally the speed limit for the road in which they are placed.

Malcolm Chuzzlewit
    Is it Aprils fools day again ?I love the Government me. Gordon Brown is so nice with his extra taxes, and that Mr. Blair ! What a nice fellow.

Romeo Framboli
    didnt you mention before you were a raving tory>?(how did you get on in the gents on sunday?)

So, when driving along a road, approaching one of these pinch points, travelling at 15mph (+/-) meeting a vehicle travelling in the other direction. One of the vehicles is going to have to give way, and this (in my basic understanding of car mechanics) will cause wear & tear on the brakes, clutch, and gearbox.

Romeo Framboli
    but if the net effect is that less people drive then the traffic will be less. ergo you wont have to keep stopping and starting in traffic jams and there will be less wear and tear on your car.

Not to mention increased fuel consumption & pollution due to constant acceleration & decelleration(sp?).

Adam, that obviously never happens on lets say your standard narrow residential road with cars parked on either side or on busy road junctions where the traffic is constantly stopping and starting? That is just normal wear and tear.

It may cause slightly more general wear and tear but if it succeeds in making people more aware and slowing the traffic in areas with an existing speed problem then it has to be done. If everyone kept to the limits and behaved courteously the government wouldn't have to resort to these measures.

In my experience of these things (there are two in the village I live in), they cause more traffic congestion then they solve.

Marco, it won't stop people driving. They'll just be going slower, and causing more congestion. If you want to reduce traffic, improve public transport. If you want to improve road safety, seperate pedestrians & cyclists from cars etc. Works in other countries, (The Netherlands for example).

Anne Brown
    The biggest problem in cities is that most roads where designed" and built well before todays cars were and so they are far to small for the current size of vehicle.Roads either need to get bigger (ha) or vehicles smaller. That is where the Smart cars make so much sense in cities."

Romeo Framboli
    agree but if the cars start going slowly enough to make it safer for cyclists and other road users there will be a gradual shift to other modes of transport. Certainly agree about public transport though - that really is the most important thing to get sorted