Thread: Rock Shox Duke

Any good? I'm having a Cove Stiffee built up and these are the fork that the shop is suggesting, what do you reckon?

I've had some Duke 100 SL's on for a year now. Perform great and not had to touch 'em maintainence wise. Hardly ever even check the air pressure. I'd recommend them.

No, I don't agree. A pair of 5 Z1s would be *much* better on a Stiffee, especially if you get the QR20 ones. I run X-flys or Jr Ts on my Cove - Marzocchis all the way. If you're feeling flush, a pair of Foxes could be good, too."

There's always a RS vs Marzocchis debate going on.I've got Dukes on one bike and Psylos on another. I've nothing against 'zocchis - just that RS have always worked good for me.

One other thing I'd mention. Speaking as someone who's done this, 100mm Rockshox air forks do not suit the character of the Cove at all. The X-flys are pretty good, but for general riding a 5 Z1 would be a much better choice (I *still* want a Maverick fork for my Cove, though, as soon as they're out)."

Eion, have you actually ridden any dukes?no. fair enough bombers are good, but rs do air better than marzocchi.Anyhow, Justin, Dukes are great been running a set of 100mm SL's for over a year they started off on a superlight and are now on my zaskar. The feel is very different to the feel of sids and is more like a coil bomber in many ways. They are also one of the stiffest forks RS have brought out. As Mad Pierre says they are pretty maintenance free and keep their air very well. The selas also appear to be very good. For people who have ridden older RS forks and slate them becuase of that, Dukes are very different, much more reliable and a very good fork.Are you getting your cove built up as an XC style bike rather than a more burly bike? If so they will be fine, if you want the bike to be a bit more erm hardcore" then as Eion says some longer travel forks, some adjustable travel z1's, or psylo sl's would do the job, psylo's obviously being better if you want adjustable travel, z1's if you want super reliable but fixed travel..."

Yes, I have ridden Dukes. I have X-flys. Enough said.

Nick Moore
    I have been running psylo xc for a while now and they are superb, plush, stiff and easily adjustable. forget what you have read or know about older rockshox , these are completely diferent

Jon Edwards
    I've got Duke Races, which although different travel are certainly nice and stiff. For a hardcore" trail bike like a stiffee I'd have thought coil sprung would be a better idea than air ones. The new Duke U-turns might be the answer?General opinion (mags/websites) seems to be that 5in is too much (bar looney stuff). Handling is right for 4in.I've ridden a mate's stiffee which has a pair of 100mm Z1's on it, and that felt lovely."

General opinion (mags/websites) seems to be that 5in is too much (bar looney stuff). Handling is right for 4in."4" feels a little on the quick side on the Cove, but it's OK. 3" would be fine for XC racing. 5" I'd think would be excellent for all-round riding (and if you're only going to get one fork, the best choice), 6" is *very* nice if you're going to be riding bigger stuff, 7" is lush but starting to get a little too slack."

U cud get psylos, then u cud just change the travel easily..