Andy Bain
    erm apparently not, mate of mine flew from Aberdeen to London to take part in the recent London Triathlon. He did the race and loaded his three week old Giant TCR1, with all the lovely triathlon shiny bits on it, Spinergy wheels etc,etc, on to the plane and he settled back for a comfy trip back to beautiful? Aberdeen with good old BA.He arrives and lo and behold no bike comes through baggage, he asks and eventually he finds out that his bike fell out" somewhere between 10000ft and landing.He assures me the bike has been found and that there are some salvageable bits but BA are coughing up for a VERY nice new bike.Anyone heard such an unlikely but oh so true story??"

James *When come back bring spine*
    Fell out !!! are you sure

Fell out? B@llocks. That would mean that the hold doors were open, which is highly unlikely. More likely it fell out, into the back of a lorry. It then fell off the back of said lorry into a baggage handler's garage.What are they claiming? That it was stowed in the undercarriage???

Andy Bain
    The explanation given was just that, the bike fell out, it was recovered from the airport grounds. When I heard the story I thought he was trying to cover up a shit bike section in the race but no BA are sticking to their fell out" story, I personally think that there is no way that a bike can fall out of a plane unless the 737 had a Halfords bike rack tied to the fuselage."

tony mcgarley
    B.A. - Bullsh!t Apologies...?More likely nicked by a handler who has susequently been caught and BA are covering it up to avoid bad publicity.Fell out my @rse.

Perhaps you should send the explaination letter to the tabloid press, so that they can see just how secure your luggage is in the sealed, pressurised holds!Tony, to be honest, it's more likely to have fallen out of your arse!

Anne Brown
    That has got to be the crapest excuse ever. I would rather think that they had caught a thieving baggage handler than things falling out of an air born plane.Surely they'd have to be mad to use that excuse to cover up thieving.

Ryan Gallagher (i have a dream)
    they do tend to make sure the aircraft doesn't have bits falling out of it or off it, then again i have heard some horror stories about BA and their great T/R operation.

Laurie Harper
    Sounds as if BA is talking cobblers to me to. Can you imagine planes strewing bikes and luggage all over the country? We'd all have to sleep in the Underground, like they did during the blitz. I doubt very much whether they found" the bike, either. It would have hit the ground at several hundred mph. if it had "fallen out": would have been reduced to metal splinters, I reckon. Tea leaves in the baggage handling dept. sounds more like it, as everyone reckons."

Laurie Harper
    Forgot to mention this. Bikes CAN fly. Anyone remember Gossamer Albatross", which crossed the channel? It had wings, a prop. and other gubbins, but it was a bike under the skin."

Having just returned from Iceland I am none too impressed with Icelandair's handling of my pride and joy. Bike was seriously packed into a bikebox, courtesy of Bonthrone Bikes. Rebuilding the bike today I found that one of the rear dropouts was bent and that I now need a new chainring (outer), beacause three teeth are worn/snapped off where the bike rested on the ground. The chainring was an old one, I have learnt my lesson and will place a piece of plywood there next time.

tony mcgarley
    Hello Ambrose, how did your trip go ?Where can we read about it, OA-O ?Cheers.