Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what are they

what are the blue lampost things on the motorway? there not lamposts but are they either speed cameras or traffic monitors? i'm puzzled please help

Anne Brown
    Traffic monitors I believe.

i was told that they are traffic master monitors. they read your number plate, then when the next one along reads it, it can work out how fast the traffic is moving (or not).

Anne Brown
    Police traffic monitors to be more accurate.

Yep, traffic monitors.And no, they can't do you for speeding.

Mark............. back again
    thank god!

James *Chiropracter here I come*
    They are tied in with several different traffic monitors.

Mister Jolly
    They feed into a national traffic monitoring system, you can see the results of it all

Mark............. back again
    oooooohhhhhh that goes a lot closer to my house than i ever realised

without sounding silly, whats the point of them - they must be awfully expensive as there are loads everywhere - how do the trafficmasters make their money?

Ginge, they make their money through subscriptions. You pay to have a little box in your car that recieves the information, and tells you when you're likely to run into a traffic jam.Unfortunately, they always seem to tell you just too late.

That's if they're right. I remember being in a hired car, going west along the M62 & it told me I was heading north up the M621!

nick cummins
    They are now being fitted as standard equipment in some cars. I used a Citreon C5 which had it in, and it was V. useful, got plenty of warning about traffic on the M1 and M25 when i was going to Dover. I reckon i missed sitting in about 2/3 hours of stationary traffic.

cool - amzing how helpful these thingd are - thats been bothering me for about a year!ta!

Mike Mason
    I've got one in my car and it always tells me the road is clear when I'm standing in a jam.....

it always tells me the road is clear when I'm standing in a jam....."Because there's no cars moving past the sensors. They're all standing still! Traffic flow=0 cars per minute=roads clear!Fatal flaw in the system really."

amazingly good point - maybe the trafficmaster will have to come up with a design for the roads to move instead of the cars, that way - even in a jam the cars will still pass the monitors--- I'll be onto millions for that. hoo hoo (rubbing hands)

Stinky Wizzleteats
    Aliens put them there to monitor us.

Danny Milner
    From what i'd heard, they are the new speed cameras that take your average speed. They also don't flash and they are directly linked to DVLA where the fines will be automatically sent out. I don't think they are functional as yet, but they will be a nightmare when they do come into force.

Mark............. feeling cheap
    nah mate, these things have been around for a good few years now. I know the ones you mean though............and they scare me!