Thread: Built trails

I'd just like to open a bit of a debate here.Like most who have been there, I absolutely love the purpose built trails at Coed a Brenin, Nant yr Arian, Glenn Tress etc. They mean you can ride great trails without fear of running into and pi$sing off a walker. It's great that the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament are recognising mtb'ing and giving us something.So on the surface they seem like the perfect solution. Does anyone think that these trails could be reinforcing the sentiment that bikes are dangerous and should be kept apart from walkers? MTB's are already being marginalised with the new RoW act, as the right to roam" only applies to walkers, and more of the centres like CyB & GT as much as I love them could mean more mileage to the "ban bikes from bridleways" lobby.I'm not for a second suggesting that we stop building trails like these, or slow down their promotion, but I'd like to see whether this aspect has occured to anyone else? It just seems to me that segregation is not always the perfect solution. (I don't think there is one really, but I thought it would make an interesting thread)."

More Gears Than Sense
    SOI think that with IMBA ideas we are pushing for more acceptance of MTB's on bridlepaths. Blimey I even helped a load of walkers build a footpath the other day, they see us MTBer's a bit differently locally now!

Anne Brown
    Living in the South East I might as well give up off road cycling if they ban bike from bridleways. There is no point in owning a good off road bike and the only time you could actually ride it was on weekend trips to Wales.There is no way a MTB specific centre is going to built down here. There is no room for it, we *have* to share the land.

Si McNally
    Isn't PORC down your way Anne?

Anne Brown
    Are you trying to be funny???Seriously, I don't know what you mean by PORC.

Penshurst Off Road Club: they own a bit of wood down in Kent (Penshurst to be precise). I went there once years ago, but I found it a bit DH orientated for me, and no real room to go for a proper" ride like you can on the North/South Downs, or in places like Coed-y-Brenin, where they have the space to build decent length trails."

Si McNally
    Penshurst Off Road Club.It's a dedicated MTB centre just sarf of London.I've never been there but they have sopme short corse downhills & a couple of XC trails as well, or so I believe.

I've never been there either, but the impression I get is that it consists of; an average and flood-prone XC course, a very short, crap, and easy DH course, and some jumps which I probably wouldn't be able to do anyway.Aston hill is OK, but appart from that the riding down here is BW's, FP's (yes, deal with it), and unofficial" trails."

Yup, if mtbers have somewhere to play, why should they be allowed on Bridleways? There will be an explosion of new offroad bike centres in the same way there are hundreds more 4x4 centres than there were 10 years ago.The antibike brigade will go for stopping wheeled access altogether in the National Parks (and certainly on all off road rights of way). Luckily it won't extend to stopping the ramblers driving in and parking as close to the entrance of their favourite footpath as they can get.

Anne Brown
    Si, PORC is on the other side of London to me (quite a way away) but either way I don't class that and Wendover (v. close to me) anywhere near the same league as Coedy et al.If I cant do a 20 mile ride there without doing laps or cris-crossing the route then the place just isn't big enough.If you tried the put the volume of riders from Coedy through Wendover it would be like peak hour on the underground (shoulder to shoulder). That is not what I like to do when I visit the country side.

Si McNally
    Fairy nuff.As I said, I'd never been there so wasn't certain what it was like.

Si Davies
    i was talking to colin palmer - seasoned access rights campaigner and runs the CTC RightToRide network - a few months ago and put the same idea to him: ie that offroad centres may mean that we are banned from bws.He said it's something that a few mtbers have mentioned, but in all his years of campaigning he's never heard any other group use purpose built mtb centres as a reason for banning up from our traditional ROWs (plenty of other reasons but not this one). However, a little paronoia is a healthy thing.