Thread: Giant AC Team.

A good friend of mine has broken his Giant AC Team. A few months ago the swingarm was replaced after cracks appeared, and now the seat-tube has snapped off. Giant have decided (without seeing the bike) that this is not a warranty issue and that the rider has obviously been riding with too much seatpost sticking out and not enough sticking in. Which is utter b0llox - the bike in question is a medium and rider is well under 6ft, rider is skinny and the bike is cross country and not DH setup. Giant say there has to be 80mm of seatpost in the frame and the seatpost in question clearly shows it to have had more than this.The AC Team is billed as a do everything (even DH) type bike and yet not only is it clearly incapable of this role Giant themselves haven't the balls to back up there hype" with a warranty worth shaking a sh!ty stick at.Giant suck. What kind of lame-ass company would deal with customers in such blatently disrespectful manner.They should at least have looked at the bike before opening their mouths."

Giant say there has to be 80mm of seatpost in the frame and the seatpost in question clearly shows it to have had more than this."How can they say this if they haven't seen it?"

Exactly!In the owners manual it says there must be 80mm of seatpost in the frame.My friends bike frame had more than 80mm of seatpost inserted - as can be seen from the marks on the seatpost.Giant would also be able to see this if they would look at the frame. But since they are too lazy and would rather blame the rider for a problem which he did not have!They suck.

Unusual for Giant - they're normally really good with warrantee issues - who has your friend actually spoken to? Giant themselves or the shop he bought the bike at?

Ultimatley, it's the responibility of the selling dealer to make sure that the bike is fit for the purpose it was sold for.Take it back to them and tell them that you reject the goods and that you require a refund. See if that wakes them up a bit, if not, speak to trading standards.

What year is the bike and where did it snap. I have seen pics on another thread on this site where the frame snapped between the welds of the shock mount and the pivot. If it has gone here, it is a known problem and Giant will probably sort it out - like Clubber says, they tend to be good on warranty.

as i am also a friend of the person, i can also vouch for the amount of seat post that was actually in the frame as i was out with him at the time we noticed the cracks. the model is the 2001. he did take it to an authorised dealer for giant and as he used to work for a well established shop in aberdeen with a giant dealership he knew the reps for giant so he has got a fair idea of what should or should not be warranty. he does intend to take this all the way to the end until he receives a new frame or a refund.

Still no news from Giant on this.Other than Giant have decided not to give a warranty and have said that my friend has obviously been doing huge drops with the bike.They have said this without seeing the bike?Bizzare - anyway, the frame snapped on a climb so I'm kind of confused how Giant would know he was doing huge drops with it - maybe they were watching him the whole time wheras us that were there at the time were seeing things.My friend is a bit confused as to what to do next. Having left the bike at a dealer for a rep to come and see he was told that no rep has seen the bike but he will not get a warranty. Confused - I am?How can a company justify saying no to a warranty situation without somebody from that company seeing the item in question.I can think that his only option is to SEND THE FRAME TO GIANT - only once they have seen it can they can make an informed decision.1000 is a lot of money to shell out for a frame to lose the whole lot a year later - the frame has a 5 year guarantee and yet...

tony mcgarley
    That is absolutely disgusting, the sheer frustration of knowing you are in the right but being told to 'sod off, we've got your money'.Surely the bike shop is obliged to do something about it?

Has he spoken to Giant directly?They sorted

I've given as much of the facts as I know.Giant sound as if they are being evasive which seems silly since they haven't seen the bike. But that's what I'm wondering? How can you say no when you haven't seen it, and why havent they sent someone out to see it?Just say no and hope that the owner will go out and buy another one for 1000 a pop, and reccomend them to all his friends?Bizarre stroke of marketing genius that one!

I am the owner of the AC team frame.I am deeply sadened and disgusted that the the way GIANT have delt with the situation.I was told by the local bike shop that a rep was going to come and see the frame, but did one turn up no there was no rep at all.WeirdI also spoke to the Giant warranty dept directly and i also spoke to the after sales manager Russell Davies after recieving a letter which said.The damage caused to the frame was not consistant. This damage was caused by abnormal riding.So therefore does that mean i have to wait until more break then i will recrive a frame, this is shocking coming from the biggest bike retailer in the world.The best bits always come last!!!!!Giant would be more than happy to offer a replacement frame at a cost to you through your local dealer should you wish to so.I can safely say that i will NEVER buy a Giant bicycle again.And i will get a frame out of them yet and yes i will be going to trading standards.Thank you for you help so farAny more suggestions please post them to Soap Box or email myself.

if ya still gonna get a frame outa them tehn i take it you will be selling it?

Mister Grumpy
    Whatever you do, don't give up. Is photographic evidence a good idea? That way, you could send out the pics to appropriate people.

tony mcgarley
    Was the rep meant to view the frame at your lbs, then if so would the bike shop not send a letter to russel davies stating that the rep never arrived, therefore the letter that he received cannot be a valid statement?Btw, I think the bikeshop is taking the pi$$ by just sitting back and letting you do all the running about. It was they who sold you the bike, afterall.

I still just find this incredible - as though you found out that your best mate who you'd known all your life, in fact hated you... What have Giant said when you've challenged them about the fact that they've not even seen the bike? If they really won't even look at the frame, I'd suggest telling them that you'll take them to the small claims court...This is all just too strange - there's got to be more to it than meets the eye...

Matt Savage
    If your having no joy take it to the bike press ie What MTB/MBR/MBUK one of them is bound to take it up as it makes good column inches and will shame Giant into action.

it is all in hand. we have very good photos of the frame and they will be sent to the right mags. if they do not print the story then they might give you a free frame! MBUK do it every month, send in a picture of your snapped frame and hey presto - new frame! if all else fails i know a guy who does some nice knee-cap surgery. i have heard he is quite handy with a baseball bat. whatever happens, all his publicity wont be doing giant any good at all, they must surely realise that to keep customers happy they need to improve their aftersales service.