Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Philip Gradwell
    Is this do-able? Some friends and I are off to scotland for a weeks riding, we'd like to incorporate this. So has anyone don it then?

Kevin Hodgson
    No.Don't really think about actually riding to the top of most mountains (Skiddaw, Snowdon, Hellelyn, Mount Keen are exceptions).If you here people talking about riding down Ben Nevis they are probably talking about the soon to be opened downhill course on nearby Aonach Mor.HOWEVER.The entire corrour estate is open. As is the West Highland way (so Devil's staircase & Lairig Mor). All superb fun.

Philip Gradwell
    Oh that's a shame, is the track to rough and steep?The problem is we are trying to devise a route which is going to involve 5 days riding with as much off road as possible. My mate has taken the planning on board and thinks we should head from Onich to Inverness exploring all the way. I've yet to get hold of the OS maps, and only have road atlas as a guide, but this route looks to have quite a few roads. This all came about after reading your article on Offroad adventures. I'm up for the Cairngorms in three days then carrying on somewhere else for another two. Just not sure where yet.

Kevin Hodgson
    Best to do the tour of the cairngorms, then perhaps the corrieyairack pass, or some of the other cairngorm glens such as Glen Avon (also a route by Mark Graylish on offroad adventures), Glen Feshie and Rothiemurcus forest.Of you could head east, via Loch Ericht, Loch Pattack, Loch laggan, loch ossian to corrour (excellent new bunk house there!!). Then fort william via Creageiihghgjhgich Lodge, Meanach bothy, mamore lodge and lairig mor (did that on saturday). There's plenty fun to be had I assure you!!!!

Philip Gradwell
    Cheers, I'll take a look at those.

People have ridden horses up the Ben, carried pianos up, driven cars up. I don't see why a bike can't go up. It wouldn't be particularly pleasant though. Perhaps best bet would be the path up from Glen Nevis. Rather you than me though.

Pete Jones
    People have carried bikes along the Aonach Eagach ridge too - just because it's possible doesn't mean it's worth doing. The only route up the Ben even remotely feasible on a bike would be the tourist trail from Glen Nevis (near the YH) as Ambrose said. How much travel have you got? You're gonna need it.....I was making enquiries today re: the Corrieyairack Pass. It's currently closed - make of that what you will.

Philip Gradwell
    It would be the tourist route that we'd do. I think it would be cool just for the sake of doing it, not really for the amazing riding. To get the t-shirt as it were.I suppose a 100mm travel hardtail isn't the preffered machine for this then?

You're on your own me'thinks

Philip Gradwell
    Well not really there will be three of us :-)I'll be sure to tell you all about it, and get the photo's up if I do do it.

Kevin Hodgson
    From my recent experience in scotland I'd take a fully rigid, super lightweight, perhaps even a singlespeed MTB. My M2 had rigids on it for road riding, but I even up MTBing for all 4 days of my trip. With a bike that light it is an absolutely joy in the push/carry sections (which there will be loads of on the Ben). I reckon mine was perhaps 22lbs, you could go much lighter. Also on really steep downhills the bike felt a lot safer than with sus forks, as there wasn't that 90mm of sag, you always knew where the front wheel was going to go. I did the devil's staircase and a crossing of corrour estate on a full rigid. The second day hurt a lot, but the first was a revelation. Go for a really big front tyre, with low pressure though.

Kevin Hodgson
    sorry but I ended up MTB for all 4 days""

Kevin Hodgson
    sorry again but I ended up MTBing for all 4 days""

Philip Gradwell
    My bike's pretty light, and I wouldn't like to make it lighter without risking strength. Not sure what weight it is though. I'd guess around 24lb.Can't wait to give my PC2's some proper action since they've never really had a thrashing with all the F&M.

Ian Munro
    Ben nevis is quite doable. Fair bit of pushing on the way up and a bit bumpy on the way down!.I've got an old ride report and pictures athttp://www.beyondthethreshold.co.uk/routes/Ben_Nevis/index.html

Kevin Hodgson
    Quite do-able?Note that that web address includes the words beyond the threshold!".It has to be beyond the fun threshold as far as I'm concerned. At least on Snowdon / Skiddaw / Helvellyn you know there's a good donwhill to repay the carry,I'd put the ben in the "do it to get in the papers or raise money for charity" league.But then again, I'd also say that about Iditabike ;-)(in other words you're harder than me Ian) "

Steve Duffy
    Is the tourist path up The Ben not a footpath - i.e. would you be risking a severe bollocking if you're caught? Plus it'll be heaving with walkers so you'll probably end up pushing down as much as up...

Ian Munro
    Scotland has a different right of way system to England and Wales. AFAIK you can ride a bike anywhere that you can walk. The path could be clogged with tourists, but weekdays and out of season they'll be a lot less. And even in season, they'll still be I guess an order of magnitude less people on nevis than could be found on snowdon, skidaw etc. The push up is hard work, but that just makes coming back down all the more sweet. And the DH is good, not in the smooth fast sense like snowdon or skidaw, but more like cavedale in the peaks or the grisedale tarn descent off Helvellyn in the lakes. If you enjoy those descents (and I don't just mean the steep bits), then you'll love Ben Nevis

Philip Gradwell
    We'll be going during a weekday so a few less walkers I guess. I'm not clear on this but can't you take your bike wherever you like in scotland, 'cos they have different laws? I suppose I best find this out before I go though, I don't want to get chased by shotgun wielding farmers.Cheers for the website Ian, I don't fancy doing it in November! what were you thinking, <tut>. What percentage would you say you rode, up and down?

Steve Duffy
    Fair dos...a mate of mine was on there climbing and he saw a couple of lads getting a talking to for riding down the tourist path...guess they were probably just riding like idiots rather than breaking the law then.The Aonach Eagach Ridge? Now that's just plain suicidal...