Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are you?

Who are the BM forum users? A question that I've often wondered.Dylan Lang, 26, Single but living with girlfriend of 4 years(!). Born and bred Londoner, living in Putney.Discovered MTBing during my Gap year when I had a bit of spare cash and bought a Marin Pine Mountain for 500 (which I thought was a HUGE amount back then). Got into MTBing big time at Uni (Bristol) as well as road riding as a way of training for rowing.Worked for On Your Bike during Uni holidays (mainly in the Harrods dept) as well as a short spell of Bike courier work.Spend most of my non-work (IT - SAP Consultant) time rowing training.That'll do for now.How about the rest of you?

Toni Ertl
    Toni Ertl - 39, married, 19 years with 2 children (13 and 11). Born Vienna, grew up in Sarf Norwood, escaped to Oxfordshire last 11 years.Riding since about 5, road, track and cyclocross racing as teenager, had M/C accident and more or less stopped cycling, had family instead. Got my son on a bike at 4 and started cycling again to encourage him. (taught wife to cycle at 32!). Bought a Townsend steel terror to go out with the kids and it all escalated.Originally worked for Wellcome research labs in Beckenham, moved to British Biotech '90 (hence move to Oxfordshire) and now work for a small diagnostics company (nuts, this sounds like a CV, which it is I guess).Time out of work:- (apart from riding) building, fixing and fettling bikes, ditto PCs, church music and occasional band. + a bit of web design. Oh, and family now and again.

Dave, 25, AS/400 RPG analyst programmer. Born and bred in Co Durham. Started out on a 225 Giant Hurricane 12 years ago, and really got into it at Uni. Ran the MTB club at UMIST for a year, before flunking out through lack of work.Now a member of Beamish Odd Sox club, and Chairman of Hamsterley Forest Downhill course. Regular downhill racer, but not especially good at it. That's about it really.

Kevin Hargreaves, 31 yo, Single, lives in Hampshire, I have been riding MTB's for nearly 2 years, discovered the sport by accident when I borrowed a mates bike when he went travelling. I brought a cheap Fisher and joined B.O.B. MTB club and well and truly got the bug.As I have no responsilities

Cullen Ward
    Cullen Ward, 29 and three quarters. Small dark and singletrack. I work here. Devon born and bred, live in Epping with girl friend and her daughter. Have ridden bikes with passion since the 70's. Always wanted a mountain bike but didn't really know until I got one. Now love singletrack, big country and back lane / pub lunch touring.

opps posted that too early by accident.As I have no responsibilities I spend all my spare time and cash on riding, out on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays doing awayrides once a mounth all over the UK.I am currently an Inventory controller for a medical device company but I am currently retraining so I can pursue a career as a computer network engineer

Julian Chappell.Born in Nottinghamshire 36 years ago.Married Teresa 14 years ago in Cyprus, no kids.Discovered mtb'ing 11 years ago after looking for a bike capable of riding along bridle paths with my wife and her horse.I'm currently a Credit Manager but I retire (allegedly) in 4 weeks time and I'm moving to the Isle of Man.Other passions include water skiing, skiing, snowboarding white water rafting and err.....golf.My wish is to see world peace and Elvis live in concert

How are managing to retire at 36?

Pat Mustard
    Why would Elvis want to live in Concert?Isn't that a crap town in County Durham?Oh, no that's Consett.IGMC

Paul Howard
    Paul Howard (also known as Pigeon Legs), 31, Technical Writer in the electronics industry. Live in Surrey with GF of 8 years, now fiancee, doh!Always had bikes growing up; BMX, road, MTB but sold them to concentrate on my first love which is windsurfing (if its windy I'm at the beach otherwise on the bike). Moved from Bedford to near Guildford 4 years ago and spent 150 on an mtb just to get back into it and find out what the local trails were like. Sold it within a year to spend a grand on a full susser! Taken up xc racing last year and met loads of friendly people, also via bikemagic, plus just joined Kevin and his chums at BOB.I live by the moral A bad day at the beach/trails is better than a good day at work.""

Kevin,My wife is willing to support me whilst I look for employment. The job has to be just right, if you know what I mean and I don't want to simply rush in to the first job offer - that would be unwise.Most interviews will be casual and I envisage that plenty of them will be at Castletown Golf Club.Pat, have you no shame?

Hello, I'm Grahame Baker, I'm 34 and a mountainbiker. I've been clean for 3 days now, thanks to F&M and the strength of my family and friends. I'm just taking it one day at a time.......Seriously, born 34 years ago on Teeside, first offroad ride in 1990 in Winter Park Colorado when touring accross the USA. Came home, bought a Marin Bear Valley. Tried to break it for about a year, sold it, got a Breezer, loved it, got another as a spare, got a Kona, hated it, sold it, killed a Breezer just before christmas. Got a DeKerf SS from the in-sewer-ants people. Bought a Gary Fisher Sugar 1 last weekend.Live in Harrogate with a very understanding girlfriend and two cats.Professional manufacturing Engineer in the Advertising world. (I.E. the company I work for makes a well known, coloured-in, phone book full of ads).Oh, I also love food, beer, and road biking.

Pat Mustard
    Nope, how about you Julian?

I don't really need to answer that either, Pat

Ed Lefley
    Final year economics student, part time bike mechanic for YHA A.S. got girlfriend of 2yrs, and only 2 months until i become a proper person.Started mtbing in about 91/2 got into it in a big way 95, with a kona that finally died last month (but that's another story, have had to lay off riding as i don't like racing and that's all the mtb at UWE wanted to do.HATE CITIES, I WANT TO BE BACK IN THE COUNTRYSIDE AT HOME NEAR READING, but no chance with FMD and dissertation to do.Used to belong to RATz but never raced enough, but enjoyed marshalling at the races instead....

Hi I'm ashley Wright - 31, married to Amanda with a son James who just turned 2 on Sunday. I live in Godalming in Surrey and belong to the Horsham Riders (as it was a smidge closer than BOB's). Now quite involved with them and am currently sorting out all our new club kit. Oh and don't forget to visit our club website - www.hrc1.orgI used to race BMX's when young, but gave that up when I started to drive/found girls. Started MTBing again 4 years ago to lose weight, and found out how much fun it was. Soon ended up spending all my money on bikes. Trying to get Amanda involved, and though she does like it, we can never get someone to babysit so she goes out 3 times a year now.I too work in IT, and have done for over 13 years. Used to (Still do some) AS400 RPG work, but have recently moved into the Websphere arena and passed some IBM certifications last week. Got promoted to manager long time ago and didn't like it so am now a consultant who does what I like.Oh and I waffle a bit!!You can see what I look like on my website - www.ashleywright.co.uk

Adrian Davies
    Ha, my first post here - Adrian Davies, age 30, originally from Swansea but living in Philadelphia for the last 5 1/2 years, work in technical support for an internet logistics software company, ride a '00 Rocky Mountain Blizzard built from the frame up, with all the components I like.Miss the riding around the Swansea area, although with the F+M thing right now I guess that's a moot point.

This is where I come clean.Julian Winstanley, 29 next week, thoroughbred Lancashire pie-eater living in Tooting ('cos I came to London to get work). I'm Web developer / Analyst / Network person - basically anything techie that takes my fancy. My primary love is volleyball (Webmaster for London volleyball at the moment), met g/f skiing and she got me into this - hence the fact that I ride a stock Trek 6500 and she rides stunpjumper with noce things added like discs and good forks and new chainset etc. I'm better then her already (she'll kill me if she reads this), and was after, ooh, the first ride, 'cos I got a bmx (raleigh burneer, addded mags soon after) when I was about 7 and learned how to bunnyhop and jump one-brick ramps. That's about me in total. Oh yeah I play drums really badly.

Paul Harrison
    Paul Harrison, 37, from Farnham, Surrey. I earn my living managing teams of recalcitrant software developers, and spend most of my money on guitars and travelling (mainly in Africa). I would spend more of it on bikes, but I'm really happy with the ones I've got: an old Cannondale M800 and an Orange Clockwork singlespeed. I started mountain biking about 9 or 10 years ago after my brother got me interested in it, so he's the one to blame for my creaky knees, scars and over-developed calf muscles.

ian Scarfe,46, married with two sons 2 and 6,live near Barnsley.First bike a hand built thing from Overbury's in Bristol,made of 531 ATB,with tandem forks,Anyone else remember the mid 80's?Now ride a Rift Zone wherever I can,usually with Ming aka David Barker-Milner,of Iditasport fame.I'm a nurse,which enables me to complain accurately about my injuries when I stack.