Will (hates the cold)
    The search is on...for the best bike shops in BritainBicycleBusiness has teamed up with Cycling Weekly and MBR to find the 2002 Bike Shop of the Year. Consumers nominate their favourite shops and an expert panel will sift the wheat from the chaff. Sponsored by Madison, the winning shop will get 2000 worth of Shimano kit and the first nominating consumer out of the hat gets 1000 worth of Shimano kit. PLUS: BicycleBusiness is launching a Bike Shop of the Month award scheme The Bike Shop of the Year award will be widely publicised in IPC's cycle magazines, including Cycling Weekly. News of the award will appear in IPC titles within the next month and there will be regular editorial mentions, including reviews of nominated shops. Consumers will be invited to nominate their favourite bike shops - be they IBDs, Bikehuts or Tescos - and an expert panel will whittle the nominations down to a shortlist. These bike shops will be 'mystery shopped' to find the overall winner. The expert panel will include representatives from Madison, IPC and BicycleBusiness as well as an exterior-to-the-trade retail expert. What makes a brilliant bike shop? That's largely up to the consumer nominators to decide. They will have to write a short paragraph on why they feel their particular fave shop should win: this could be because of interior design excellence, or a particularly brilliant wheelbuilder who may be grumpy to customers but is God's gift to spoke tensioning. Superior customer service will clearly be on the top of most consumer's agendas when choosing who to nominate so start being extra special to every customer from now on! Story Courtesy of

I don't know about best shop,but I've got loads of nominations for worst.

I'm intrigued. Will anyone actually vote for one? Having said that, my last 2 LBS experiences in Bicester have been quite good, so the worm could be turning. I suspect that it will be road rider dominated. When I was a road only rider I seemed to get on much better with the trade. Despite being 40, and actually buying decent bike bits I've generally been treated like a complete twerp (someone trying to explain to me that his Kona Stab was a bit special, and not an ordinary mountain bike for instance). What is it about mountain bikes that draws this out of people?