Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think we need

*stops Pimp from squeezing Phatboy's arse in the mistaken belief it's Wookie's"|2001-11-21 17:20:09.513000000"

Whilst i have no problems whatso ever of the content of this soapbox, i do think there could do with being another, more serious soapbox (how it used to be?). For example, the thread about 2 billion cars" was serious, but just got trolled to death. "

Gary Ewing
    You might have noticed that I don't visit these shores as often as I used to.What's the point in having an argument when people don't reason, contradict themselves, and then resort to petty insults when they've realised they can't win.And winning is nice, but isn't necessarily what arguments are about.

(Adam Stephens)
    Agree with you there Phatboy, we should let the soapbox revert to it's original subject matter and have a new forum for all tbe trash we talk.

Gary Ewing
    Actually I don't visit these shores as often because I've grown a conscience and have started doing some work for a change, but it would be nice to once in a while look in here, the soapbox, and find arguments that aren't swamped with 150 unnecessary posts.And don't resort to cheap insults and offensive language to make a point.

More Gears Than Sense
    Phatboy are you saying that the Moller Skycar was not serious.You sure that we wouldn't benefit from less cars on the ground or did you not check out the site. Thats serious shit dude!Alternatively we should have a the Soap box, the a Debate section for serious stuff so people can distinguish the to.Also what happened to the photo section we were promised?????C'mon Cullen

not gonna happen. fourth time it's been suggested that I can remember. lots of whinging last time about well if you don't like it go away, it's our playground now"We wentyou realised we were right and are beginning to get bored?(not personally directed at Phatboy, more of a general rant that we *were* right after all that)"

Im not bored of the sandbox at all, quite the contrary, it amuses me no end, and it certainly appeals to my childish sense of humour. I just think there should be a place for proper" discussions again, and a nice play pen for us kiddies to amuse ourselves in. I thought the "MTB" bit would become the new "serious" part of BM once the soapbox became just random drivel (but funny random drivel). I don't think they'd be any problem running two along side each other. <que a large uproar, the reintroduction of member numbers, people dragging up "great old threads" in futile efforts to make it "how it used to be", the deletion of members, large amounts of trolling and swearing, all because people forget it's just a website...> "round and round in circles we go"Oh and apparently the the photo thing will be ready "in the new year" (so that'll be the summer then) according to the latest posting from Cullen about it."

Gary Ewing
    I didn't see the original thread, but 15mpg?Compared to a typical mid range american car, with a V8 5 litre engine, 15mpg is probably an improvement.Anyway, NBT, do you mean that this is the 4th time a serious soap box has been suggested?This place is too busy for it's own good, as far as I can tell there are good arguments that do spring up in all sorts of places, but I don't have the time to go hunting through Soapbox, MTB, Beginners, Kit forum, etc for them, so just end up posting the odd miserable comments wherever I land.Bah Humbug.

More Gears Than Sense
    Plus gary it will run on anything and your going at 350mphNot bad really, cheap to

Gary Ewing
    But then just because there's a proper place for serious arguments, it doesn't mean that all the best serious arguments will end up there.Maybe we've already had all the good arguments, maybe there's only silly ones left.I'm going off to research some postmodernism. See you all tomorrow?

Gary Ewing
    MSTS, until it kills you/you kill yourself/you crash into another one, or a jumbo jet or an American news helicopter.Run on anything? Like in Back to the Future when the doc puts the banana skins and stuff into the DrFusion thingy on the back of the DeLorean.

Rhodri The Sheep
    It's a good idea though. One for pissed off people and one for very bored people. Or just immature people like me.

It'll run on anything? Milk? Chip oil? Rancid yak fat?

Seriously now, should we not try and have a sort of un-written rule that if someone starts a serious thread, you can't fuck it up with talking rubbish? If it has the support of a reasonable majority (which it would) then it would enforce itself in the same way as the rule of not having any classifieds in the forum.

Big Baby
    It's not that we need 2 soap boxes, we just need people to stop issing about, and reducing threads to nothing but drivvle.

Big Baby
    *pissing

Why not set up crapmagic for non MTB humour type stuff.I'm sure it would be dead popularI haven't really bothered with soap box for along time

<old fart voiceover> it's never been the same since all those kids took it over. just like the internet really. I remember when JANET was really hot.....in my day etc etc etc. ZZZZZZZZ</old fart voiceover>.The net isn't the new exciting place it used to be, it IS crowded with crass commercial sites (and some good commercial ones too) and things HAVE moved on. Sweeping statement - I do not believe that BM will ever see the return of the sensible discussion in the way they used to be. They community is different now. About half of us can't even spell, punctuate or capitalise - let alone discuss the merits of suspension technology or frame metallurgy. IMHO BM is now like the MBUK magazine; mountainbike associated entertainment with the (very) occasional serious bit thrown in. As it *can* be entertaining, I'll probably still trawl it, but for intellectual stimulation I now look elsewhere. It's TOO LATE to make it go backward (and it wouldn't have appealed to Joe public en masse anyway). I just hope the commercial success is some recompense to CW, JT, CC et al who've laboured so long and hard.

who was the instigator for the downfall ?nah i believe that we can have these descussion, the 2 soapboxes is a very very good idea, perhaps the other shouldnt be a soap box but a discussion area, i dunno, thinking out aloudDan