Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fat Bear (nothing worth putting in brackets today)
    I get the impression that a lot of people are buying precious things for their bikes just for the sake of having them rather than because they improve performance or riding pleasure.For example if you spend say, 200 on a set of new forks & earn 10 per hour at work(I know. No I dont care how much you earn an hour or how much your forks cost, SHUT UP, its just an example for christs sake!) then that equates to spending (starts counting fingers) 20 hours to improve your performance. If you'd spent that twenty hours either working out or practising/riding your bike, wouldnt that increase your performance more? I don't know, its just an observation what do you think?

If you're fat(Mr. Bear)the best,and most cost effective way to improve your performance is to lose weight.Otherwise,the only people who really need lightweight bits are would-be XC racers,the rest of us are just slow bike tarts IMNVHO.

the messiah (is bike tart)
    Yep - bunch of bike tarts...and there's nowt wrong wi that"."

Reckon you're right about the time spent. However, given that most of us can't just say OK, Mr Boss, I'd like to work 20 hours less this week, get paid for 20 less hours but improve my fitness a lot" but rather have fixed hours, I'll just keep buying shiny things thanks.Besides, surely part of the pleasure of biking is the looking through the catalogues, the comparing of specs and prices, the thrill of the purchase, the tinkering to fit the bits and then the pleasure of riding your newly tricked-out steed?"

(Adam Stephens)
    and the Ohhhhhhhhhh factor when your mates see your new purchase.

Yes, but some upgrades are a waste of money some aren't.Waste of money but not necessarily bad:-Expensive headsetsTitanium skewersCarbon seatpostsWorthwhile:-Hope hubsGood forksDisc brakesDo you see??

strange,a thread that mentions tarts,and no Pimpmaster.

and the urghhhhhhh" as you crack it off a rock"

Nik Johnson
    how do we account for the psycological benefits of shiney new expensive kit. I think that's why we need to upgrade when there's nowt wrong with the stuff that's on there. We just get too used to (looking at) it and it all becomes a bit non shiney-new.

Oops - few posts late.

Dan (my f'ing brackets(owner of mp3 player))
    GOAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Savage
    Spending vast quantities on bikes doesn't mean huge performance inmprovements. I remember a couple of years ago on the South Downs Lemming seeing an athletic lady on a fully rigid 100 Raleigh with cantilever brakes finish 4th or 5th whereas there we plenty of people 2000 full sussers wheezing at the back because they were had indulged in a few too many cream cakes.Then again the Ooooh factor of having the shiniest, newest, highest specced bike in your group is essential, now pass me that catalog of anodised Hope widgets and doodahs!

Pimpmaster Jazz (on the wax)
    Hmmm. I've recently purchased a USE pin for the Orange, and went to Thetters last weekend. Instead of dropping the seat (as I would normally) to do the tricky stuff (jumping, drops) I removed the pin and saddle, as I didn't want to scratch it on the shim. Very girly, but it's all new and spangly!Goat, clearly.Tarts - mmm!

It improves the bike, but not you.So often in life this is the way of things.

Although this does nothing to refute the undeniable fact that my bike is considerably better than any of yours.

train hits boy
    I've learnt everything about bike parts from my relationship with pens. If it doesn't work, you shake it. If it still doesn't work you throw it away and buy a mont blanc.

Pimpmaster Jazz (on the wax)
    Works well with women too.Did I mention the limited edition Mont Blanc range I'm currently doing?

Is that the one that comes with the free bottle of fine wine PMJ?Vaguely back on thread, looking at our results of the trailquest, I'm siding with the spangly does not equate to performance. Still how crap would I have been without the expensive bits? Exactly. It's doesn't make you good but it may take the gloss of your crapness. Works for me.

train hits boy
    Well, there's nothing worse than watching someone on 3,000 bike not being able to hop up a kerb forfugsake! Alternatively, cheaper parts don't come with lifetime guarantees (and such) and buying 3 tange headsets vs 1 RF real seal HS the cost implications don't differ very much, but there's a certain amount of confidence in reliability.

*Long story alert*A few years ago I turned up for a Scottish Champs races having been away for couple of years. First couple of races I lined up with the elites and came in the top 5. I was riding my beaten to bits 4 year old (at the time) Kona Explosif which had heaps of paint missing and canti brakes/thumbies etc.Good bike but it really looked like sh!t, I also used to wear a really old cycling jersey with holes in it as it was the only one I had from my sponsor (Alpine Bikes) - I may also have had a pretty fluffy beard and a nasty old helmet on.At the third race of the season they asked for the top ten riders to come through to the front. As I took up my place on the front row the boy next to me looked over and said they asked for the top ten riders you know!"I just looked at him and said "I, that'll be me then".Needless to say I made sure I beat him - it had to be done (I cant remember what he was riding but it was very shiney)."