Decathalon Stores

Anyone ever been in one? there is a new one opening in Oxford, may be worth poping in or is it all a load of old rubbish?

Think of them as Up market sports direct shops, some great value quality stuff, 2 year guarantee on most stufff, sign up for the emaIL for cheap offers, and you dont have to buy anything in there, but iner tubes are cheap as are sunglasses, and bike stuff.

Watch out for children riding bikes fast in store though, it happens in the stockport one,

They once were good as they sold top brands at good prices, everything now seems to be their own brand.

Some good stuff can be got at decathlon, often for good prices, though recently found their range of bikes for young kids is poor...

Ok for budget stuff but, as DM says, they rarely have any 'brands' in these days. That said, they have useful bits & pieces such as silk liner gloves - I know they're meant for skiing but are great under any cycling glove when it gets a little bracing out there. 1/4 of the price compared with others.

Their own brand stuff is reasonable for the price, and I have picked up a pair of Salomon boots recently, for about half price.

Some good deals (I still have a couple of pairs of their sunglasses and some of their little rubbery bike commuting flashing lights) and, unlike most cheaper stores, a lot of it is made in Europe (places like Turkey, Romania, etc.) rather than all from dodgy Chinese sweat-shops. At least it was when I was last in the UK...

So went, loads of energy gels etc, all the branded ones, infact huge selection!
    bike stuff, mostly lower range of parts and loads of own brand things, had camelbacks but felt you could get them cheaper online.

but good for some clothing etc.

Senior Member Stephanos Wephanos's Avatar
    Great for cheap sports clothes and hiking stuff if you only do so a few times a year. Bike clothes and glasses are great value for money, though I would avoid their cycling shorts for day long rides. I have one of there small own brand camelbaks too, which is great for short local rides.

It's always worth a visit to stock up on bars and gels and bits.