Doing your own planning permission plans and building reg plans

I am doing mine at the moment, the things i am learning about insualtion, U values and construction. I am actually quite enjoying it, plus it means i can have the extension how i want it, so if i want more insulation i can choose the type and pop it in.
    Anyone else ever done them?

Yep. The Architect(s) was a pain in the arse and seemed to think money grew on trees. It was cheaper to buy a new house.

I'm quite possibly going to have to in the near to mid future.

Quote Originally Posted by serge the seal of death View Post
    so if i want more insulation i can choose the type and pop it in.
    Anyone else ever done them?
    Seriously, once you've complied with current regs there won't be room for more insulation!

Also, beware the various bits of new(ish) legislation e.g. make sure the electrics in the extension are isolated from the existing house - if you don't then the entire property will need to be inspected & certificated under Part P, 17th (I think) edition. This will doubtless include a load of work and additional expense as properties built pre-2006 will not be compliant. We put a bigger consumer unit in & the extension's circuits are all isolated on one side of the main RCD which meant only the new stuff needed to comply.

There's other stuff like vented windows, minimum/maximum door openings etc but most of this can be found on your LA's website.

If you're lucky, you may be able to get a pre-planning meeting with the local building control dept.

Found a website that gives examples of all the differnt building regs, you pay for the full version and drawing examples, which you do not need but architects like to do as they can charge more money, they give you about 90%, but just gooling examples of builing plans you can almost always find all the examples in full, i was surprised that alot of it is just set text.
    some knowledge is needed. was planning on full cavity fill with foil baked solid insualtion board, but seems building regs really like an air gap with this type of insulation, so now just doing 100% fill with standard slab insualtion, meets the requiremnets but only just, 0.28U is what is has to be, we get 0.26U

Just remember, building regs & planning are two different depts & local authorities have relative autonomy on the latter.

I was lucky in that a mate is a QS who has had lots of dealings with our local LA so knew what to put in to keep 'em happy.

Quote Originally Posted by William of the Hearted Bl View Post
    I'm quite possibly going to have to in the near to mid future.
    Is there something you're not telling us, BHB?

Quote Originally Posted by Jen J View Post
    Is there something you're not telling us, BHB?
    Yes, we're thinking of extending the kitchen.

Basically the house we've got will get about 'money in fair words' for 4 bedrooms, open fires, by the quay, can walk to the city & have a nice sized garden etc. We had thought about selling and buying a little bit more with equity/earnings and the savings we could maybe go up to about 'Money in fair words' but in Devon at the moment that seems to get us a very smart new build 4beds with a garage and a drive etc (but with tiny rooms... I mean tiny... new builds are horrible I felt like a hobbit) or we could go to the country and get us a nice cottage 3beds but then we'd have to buy another car, travel everywhere to go shopping and cut back on the bedrooms and then have to worry about thatch insurance.

We're not having another child...we like having a 'lifestyle'...So we're staying put and putting the house back straight after being on the piss for a while, we've had the footings redone and the backs been repointed we're just getting a stone mason to put right the front lintels, take out the chimney from the back make my study a bit larger, and then phase two is building out into the side return to make something a little like this...but less 'I'm a London wanker'

^^^ but less 'I'm a London wanker'
    Hmm, it is a bit Tarquin and Beatrice. Perhaps a bit of Artex might give it some urban irony.
    Her Ladyship is, currently, devouring all manner of "My Lovely House"/"21st Century Twee"/"Country Interiors for the Nuclear Winter" magazines...........*is worried*.
    Last edited by Lord Greenville; 28-03-14 at 06:36.

Hmmm, just had an idea for a new 'interior design' mag for the masses...

It's Just a Fucking House, Get Over It (Monthly)

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post

No way, if you didn't have them and that kirsty allsop bint telling them what to buy, then my missus wouldn't be able to sell bits of old tat she buys for 1 at the boot sale for 25 to some Kath Kidson wearing muppet who doesn't know any better.

I guess every silver lining has its cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post

LOVLI!!

It's not like it's something really important, like a new bike, FFS!