Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Did you not warm up, do you stretch after your training programmes or seriously was it just a one of those tactical injuries?

Ah straight from google "Quadriceps muscles are most often strained when an athlete is trying to accelerate. The quadriceps muscles are placed under more force than they can withstand, and the muscle fibers, tendons, or both begin to tear away from the bone. When the muscles are fatigued, overused, or not adequately warmed up, they're more susceptible to strain. An imbalance between weak quadriceps and stronger hamstrings can also cause the injury"

There is that word again OVERUSED too much trainging not enough riding/resting :-)

I reckon if you rode a lot less and binned you turbo you'd be a significantly faster rider....Maybe not riding road races, but not very many of the faster XC riders I know wouldn't bother entering crits you'll just mash up your self esteem.
    Last edited by William of the Hearted Bl; 17-03-14 at 08:19.

I did do a 20 min warm up on a turbo, yes. I really don't get how riding less than 70k a week with no structure is going to make me fitter/stronger/faster tbh. Besides, people ride a lot more than I do.

Not it sure about the Quad but the rest is definitely viral. I've been dizzy and wobbly legged all afternoon.

According to Strava I ride about 50km a week in two rides with no structure, and well lets not beat around the bush ;-)

I think the thing thats going round here is viral the same bug seems to have lingered since the one that struck in Christmas, one family of four has been down for a week, missus has been rough for nearly two weeks, I'm on the tail end of a weeks worth I was shaky as hell on friday, still, it won't ruin a weekend riding though, I can be ill at work, I don't give a shit about working but I don't have time to be ill on weekends.

Edit...OMG you took a turbo to a race! are you racing in the elites?
    Last edited by William of the Hearted Bl; 17-03-14 at 08:23.

There really is a lot of this about - my wife who in 15 years I've not know be ill for more than 72 hours has been flat out for 3 weeks with a killer cough and sinus infection.
    One thing I have learned is if you really are ill it's better to have three to five days completely off, no training, plenty of scotch and then ease back in.
    If you try to muscle through it it's east to end up with pleurisy or something equally nasty.

Well as I found out later, yes I was.

Tbh i I was a bit embarrassed taking it, but as it takes me 20 minutes on any bike to be able to ride it, I thought that getting that bit out of the way so at least I could stay with the pack from the off would be a good thing.

just seen tims post. Hmmm sinus infections. My ears have been popping and cracking all week *puts 2&2 together*
    Last edited by Stan; 16-03-14 at 22:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post

just seen tims post. Hmmm sinus infections. My ears have been popping and cracking all week *puts 2&2 together*
    Ah...Could that be the source of my Jaw clicking!

Ah man I would have loved this! - Sadly way too far for me I am in Brighton

Have a good one!