Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alx View Post
    I'm expecting my head to be in a different climate.
    Hopefully, not one controlled by the NHS.......

I'm not really sure what food to go for this year, didn't really get to eat anything last year.
    WhereS I really enjoyed the hospital food from the vending machine...

I'm not really sure what food to go for this year, didn't really get to eat anything last year and the year before i was mainly fuelled by pork products.

Bovril energy drink of kings, or at least mediocre XC Racers

I do remember you once crawling around trying sell your soul for a mug of Bovril. Might have to pack some this year, if I can elevate myself to 'mediocre' standard of course.

Just me on a 26er then is it.. :-/

Nah, there'll be plenty in the kids race.....

Any Thursday folk want to go for a road ride along the coast, up onto the moors, down to the Barbican for a pint (london types can perv at John Tomacs Yeti rig from kamikazee and the bianchis dring expressos)?

If we can extricate the Van out/or get the bus we might head into the Muff on friday to go to the National Marine Aquarium as the child loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Just me on a 26er then is it.. :-/
    Possibly. I'm thinking about a 24" conversion on the ASR5

That said, I may email the course designers and suggest many low branches and <700mm gaps between trees would add some excitement to the event.

My C/Card id twitching over this:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/...6587/#geometry

But in reality the differences over the ASR are:

a) Its heavier
    b) Steeper HA, that's both good and bad depending
    c) Do I want to pay a 's margin for a set of wheels <---> that much bigger?
    d) The suspension maybe marginally more efficient that the ASR in "race" mode (200psi / 3" travel with extra platform)

I suspect the sale price of the yeti/purchase price of that is about a 600 negative difference - will I go 600 faster? No.

Anyway I've answered my own question, thanks.

Lol.

Oddly enough, one of the locals has one. He previously had the 26" and looked at the 29" when it arrived. He reckoned that in 29" guise it was a good bike for a 29er but it had lost the feel that made the Anthem such a great bike to ride. Apparently, the 650b has given it its zing back but it feels more planted than the old 26er.

Oh, & he goes about 6'2" so his view isn't from a hobbit/dwarf perspective.

Edit: I believe there may be deals to be struck in the Giant store in Bromley
    Last edited by Nobby; 25-06-14 at 11:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    Lol.

Edit: I believe there may be deals to be struck in the Giant store in Bromley
    *puts fingers in ears* LA LA LA LA LA LA......

I suspect the sale price of the yeti/purchase price of that is about a 600 negative difference - will I go 600 faster? No.
    I think you're being generous in your estimation of the Yeti's worth in the current market as well - perceived out-dated wheel size will put a lot of people off. Not worth selling really. You're better off buying a more xc bike and keeping the yeti - beefing it up a bit for trail fun (oh, sorry, had a bit of brain-thought-leak in my current sub-concious battle to renege on my decision to sell mine)

Indeed. I went out last weekend and will go out this weekend on it, much fun and still fulfilling it's intended purposes. But any more bikes and one won't ever get used which is a shame.

Ive just arrived for this weeks Beastway and some blokes just pointed at the Enigma and said "oh look a 26er" >:-/

"oh look a 26er"
    Well they do look like someones rocked up on a BMX at an XC race.

Another one has appears.

I did did consider just buying one of those 'dale 29 Flash Alloys on sale at Pauls just for racing. Yet there'd be a lack I use / familiarity issue.

Personally, I'd just hold fire Stan. It won't be long for 650b to be the 'norm' & all the preaching & ranting will be shown to be like any other religious ravings - pointless and without substance.

FWIW, if Nino thinks 700c should be reserved for the road & 650b for the trails who are we to argue?

Frischknect added that much of the motivation for going with 650b in the first place was due to the height of team riders Schurter and Florian Vogel, who stand at 1.73m (5ft 8in) and 1.74m (5ft 9in), respectively.
    "Nino always had a hard time finding his position on the 29er because he has a very sporty position on his bike, having his handlebar very low," he said. "Even on his 26in he goes without spacers or anything and with the 29er he had to compromise his position on the bike. He liked the wheels themselves but he could never get the position right for his size."

I'm currently sulking...I had hoped this year to be sporting rather cool Thumbshifters...but it would seem that you can't get 10sp Thumbies to work with Dyna-Sys clutch mechs...unless I went full friction which I'm not too keen on doing.

Christ, Stan!! Are you ever happy with a bike purchase for longer than 6 months?!

There will always be a 'faster' bike you could buy so why drive yourself mad looking to permanently upgrade?

Unless you are competing at a level where prize money and/or ranking points are available, is it really that important to get that extra <5% in performance?

I don't use Strava (Endomondo,etc. etc) and have no desire to because I ride my bike to enjoy it and have fun, not to end a good ride only to look at my time and be fed up that I was 2% slower than my best... if you feel fast and are having fun, then that should be more than good enough - it is for me!

Maybe the biking marketing behemoth is getting a little too successful in your case?